S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The S-10 Scrub
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody give me some information on stall converters? I have a 96 auto s-10, idk what tranny yet, i'll look later (im at school) But where do I get it, how much can i get one for, and do you think its worth getting it? will it make a huge difference and make my truck increadibly fast? well, any information is greatly appreiacted. thanks!!

·
LEAD FOOT LARRY
423 Posts
You probably have a 4L60.

B&M, Trans GO are 2 of the mfgrs' that make converters.

If you do not have a big cam, and some gear 3.73 or more, a "CONVERTER" will not be much help. More than likely you will have driveability problems while on the freeway and in OD.

·
The S-10 Scrub
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So your saying this stall converter wouldnt help me at all, anything i can get that will help my acceleration? and speed? I just want some more gitty up, and dont want to spend a fortune or driveabilty

·
Registered
247 Posts
the only time you will need a higher than stock stall converter is if you changed the cam in the engine to one that has a higher rpm powerband. if your engine is basically stock then it will hurt your mileage and will not help much on the performance end.

·
LEAD FOOT LARRY
423 Posts
If you want more giddy up during acceleration, put in 3.73 or 4.10 gears.

Your drivability will be affected. It will be SSSSSOOOOOOOO much more fun to drive.

You will really enjoy the feeling.

After 5 or 6 tanks of gas, when you finally have had enough fun getting used to added giddy up, you will find you only lost 5 to 8% gas mileage.

I went from 3.42 to 3.73 and on a typical trip where I normally got 21.5 mpg I got 21.05 mpg.

If you do not have posi, consider putting in a zexel unit too.

·
NOT AN ADMIN!!
2,230 Posts
3.42 to 3.73's? was it worth it, i heard its not enough differnce and then your top end takes a crap, can you still tap out 100?

·
The S-10 Scrub
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SS SDIME said:
3.42 to 3.73's? was it worth it, i heard its not enough differnce and then your top end takes a crap, can you still tap out 100?
I heard same thing, i dont know much about rearends what do you go about doing to get the new gears...?

·
LEAD FOOT LARRY
423 Posts
On the gear swap, I had a vibration start. I crawled under to check the u-joints and the pinion seal was blowing fluid. Bad bearings cause this. Rather than rebuild the rear end, I got a complete axle with 3.73's from a recycler.

I carry around 400 pounds routinely and the added gearing helps more than you can imagine. It is a 9% increase in gearing.

the best price for a Zexel is at www.slponline.com. I paid $111.90 including shipping.

Gears go to www.summit.com or www.jegs.com. Prices show around $150.

Of course you will need to have them installed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
SS SDIME said:
yeah 100 is no problem, im at 3000 rpm at 95 mph

·
The S-10 Scrub
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so say i bought rear-end gears for like 150 and got 3.73's and went to get them installed how much could i be looking to spend? has anyone done this? how much did u spend after it was all said and done?

·
TRUCK FOR SALE!!
519 Posts
i wanna know about how much it would be for 4.10 gears. Mine is a daily driver to and from work and school but everybody talks shiton my truck and i wanna shove it up their ass when they race me. What are the pro's and con's of 4.10's? Also i had a frind with a 66 fullsize with a 355 4spd man. and 4.10's and he said his top speed was like 75 mph will this be the same for me or what. I want to know.

·
LEAD FOOT LARRY
423 Posts
Price of gears is around $150 from summit or jegs. Installation runs 300 to 450 depending where and what additional parts they replace.

If you check the local auto recycler's you probably can find a complete axle with 4.10's for $150 to $350 depending on mileage and if it has posi.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts