S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can we get them??? How much??? And what facts can be produced about them???

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
You can get them at Summit, Jegs, B&M um the list is kinda long. How much ya got to spend? anywhere from $275 and up. Facts, they raise the effective stall speed of the tranny. What is stall speed? the point at which the fluid inside the converter forces the output shaft on the tranny to begin to rotate causing the vehicle to move forward. The higher the stall speed the harder the launch. Downside is unless your cruisin rpm is above the stall of the converter you will experience slippage, causing heat build up. Any other questions.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For a daily driver which do you recomend??? I don't know if I can go that high on mine, since I would like to keep my MPG up, and I mainly let the truck keep the RPMs low... heck, a lot of the time I am below 2000 rpms after I get up to speed. Also with a stall converter does it prevent you from slippage off the line?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Well a 2200-2400 should be the most you go with the 4.3's period. It takes alot of horsepower and torque to get a higher convertor to work properly or even be worth it allthough some will try to disagree. And your convertor could be a unit already that has a lock up over 2000. See not all were created equal. GM installed convertor's on these trannies that went from 1650 to over 2000.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you install one, and where did you get it, how much?

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
96 is right. The 4L60 E is an electronic transmission that has a variable lockup rate. For anything under 300 rwhp. you will see no difference in performance. May even lose a little performance. Leave the converter alone and put the money towards something that will actually make a difference....

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right now I am just planning ahead... in time I will upgrade, but you are right, there is other stuff to be had first.

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
See, im not so much of a D*** as you thought.:thumbup: Stay with the basics, take it a step at a time..if its worth doing its worth doing right

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am over it... Thanks for the advice, I have a long list of stuff I want to do first... K&N intake, TB spacer, MAF (either a new or mod on current), cut off the TB restrictor plate, exaust, step shavers, air dam, fix my window (lol), blazer rear disks, ZQ8 suspention swap, race seats (if leagal), tweed, custom white face gages that go to 150mph (lmfao), either 98and^ lights or envoy lights/bumper, new ram air style hood, MSD ignition, bocsh platinum +4s, optima yellow top battery, and a system. Just to list a few things...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well before I got a stall I would work the motor alittle and find out if you want Nitrous/Super Charger so you know were your power band will be
I have a 3500 stall in my TH350 tranny in my 96, but I have a NOS tork (i cant spell) coverter. But that is were my power band was with what i was running every app will be diffrent on driving habits and mod done to motor/tranny/rearend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts