S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal. Prices on Bulbs are sometimes way out of hand. So being the DIY whore that I am.....$1.29 for a bottle of stained glass paint and about 2 hours of my time. Heat has not been a problem ( 100 watt light bulb been on 4 2 days straight with no effects ). Almost like being in a sub. One nice little plus I noticed is that you can see with the interior on while drivng and it doesnt effect your night vision..... Still trying to find a way to change color of Factory bose unit...Gotta get the Kenwood head unit

Attachments

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more with courtesy lights on

This is with the courtesy lights on. did them and the map lights in overhead console....Nothing like Victory Red Dash.....DAM THAT RADIO

Attachments

·
A Constant Work in Progress
1,088 Posts
you are the DIY whore:thumbup:....pretty fociin sweet tho

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4 little bulbs behind the AC/HEAT Controls, Pulled Light switch and rear window washer switch apart. Pulled door switches and mirror switches apart. Pulled center console for gear indicator and the 194's in over head console. Also did they Jumbo 194's under the dash and the ashtray light. Phew. Glad ya like it. Thanks for the compliments. Sometimes being a whore isn't always bad lol

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
i plan on doin mine as soon as it gets warm again. im gonna do my gauges and maybe a few other things blue. ill post the pics, even if i screw them up....

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
picked up stained glass window stuff tonite at WAL-Mart doing mine after class tomorrow before i go snowboarding, sweet idea u diy whore:idea: :idea:

·
ZQ8 Sonoma Owner
91 Posts
02RED,

Check out the Kenwood KDC-MP8017 Head unit. Thats the head unit ive got and its awesome. You can turn all the buttons green, or RED!

Greg G.:p

·
Registered
271 Posts
did u paint the bulbs red or change them all together???

i want to do this kinda but i dont want to **** up, cause one of my gauge lights already doesnt work, is it dim at night of pretty visible????

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All I did was paint the bulbs, or should say stain them. As far as visibility goes, the pics were taken in my driveway with no flash. Camera is digital so what you see in the pic is what I see. Actually easier to see than regular lighting.

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Every bulb that had a socket I left in. Easier to handle and dip. Anything else let me know...

·
"GOT RICE?"
271 Posts
so what..all you do is dip them in the dye and then let them dry?? What other colors are available. How long do you think the color will last for??

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So yeah thats all you do. Do 2 coats letting them dry between coats and than install them. I have seen red, green, blue, yellow, purple, orange...Go to a craft store and look for em. As far as how long will they last, the colored bulbs that my freind paid 3.50 each for faded after about 8 months. Better to spend 2 bucks a year than about 60 No?

·
"GOT RICE?"
271 Posts
true..Thanks for letting us know. I was going to get a speed-glow gauge kit , but I might try this first. Cuz yours looks like it turned out good.!

·
"GOT RICE?"
271 Posts
I have one more..sorry 4 buggin' yah. But I was just thinking. My dash glows green...is that because the bulbs are green or because there is a green film on the guages? If there is a film, did you remove it too? Or did you just dye the bulbs red and thats it??

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The color you see on your gauges from the factory are a combination of the type of laminate they use in the layers on the faces and the plastic light bars that transmit light to them. If you look at a piece of plate glass from the side its a lot greener than when veiwed from the top. I took nothing out. What you see is the bulbs tinted. Thats it. Don't worry about bothering me. New ideas and helping each other out is what this forum is about....

·
"GOT RICE?"
271 Posts
Just to let you know I've started to do mine too. I am using Blue stain. I'm testing out the best method right now.. I've dipped some and I've brushed some..both ways seem to work ok, can put on a thinker coat if you brush them on but its not as even of a coat as dipping them. I'll probably do all me lights within the next month then I'll post some pics.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Can one of you guys post a pic of the stuff you used to tint the bulbs. All I could find was in a spray can.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts