S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Primed And Ready
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok today i ripped my exhaust apart the mufkler was beinbg a pain in the ass, so anywasy i ripped it off and replaced it wiht a 30" piece of 2.5 exhaust pipe, and dumped it at the rear axel. well it sounds real mean at idle but after driving it, it gets annoying and you can feel the change in torque big time( loss of torque), tommarrow i'am throwing a edelbrock raptor on her to get that torque back with good flow...plus i got it pretty much for nothin

so from experience i would say :thumbdown with straight pipes

·
Horsepower Fiend
151 Posts
I put a Race Magnum on my x-tra cab and decided to drop the tail pipe at the axle also. It was soooooooo loud and annoying I went the next day and had a muffler shop build it to the stock location. Much better sound and regained the lost tourque

·
Blown ex ***
5,710 Posts
i tried running with no muffler. it sounded good at some rpm's, and crappy at other rpm's. i did pick up a little power. the muffler is back on.

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
while youre on the topic... what is the offset & diameter..etc i need to get for a muffler??? i looked around for a bit to find it but didnt get an absolute answer-

I have a blazer2..any different than the pickups??

·
Registered
67 Posts
so would u guys suggest me gutting my cat?

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
i have read on here that it doesnt help you out with the newer rigs... they can throw codes- i think thats what i gathered from it all.

·
Horsepower Fiend
151 Posts
The newer model trucks(and cars) Have an o2 sensor in front and behind the cat. One has to read obviously before abd after. If for some reasin they read the same, it will throw a code and the SES light will come on. I know even on some cars it throws the car into a limp mode. Not a good idea

·
Registered
67 Posts
well, my O2 sensor is before the cat so i think i will be alright. and if not, i will buy the casper 02 sims. but do u guys think i will see a bit of gain in power from gutting the cat? I have stock piping basically but with flowmaster 50 series exhaust.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You won't need the O2 sim.Your Jimmy is OBD1 like mine(is your ECM mounted behind the dash and not under the hood?).I gutted my cat and ran exhaust tubing thru it(2.5" x 18" I think sorry don't remember)to cancel out resonance.My cat was clogged(it was original with 145k miles)so I had a very noticeable difference from idle all the power range.

·
Primed And Ready
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
see i'am ****ed whenit comes to the o2 sensors i ahve one after my cat and the code is thrown, and i din;t guyut my cat but it ratels inside i can hear iut and i truied to get it off today but couldn't i just threw a staight pipe on it for bnow tommarrow if it doesn;t rain i';am gogin to get that cat off hopefully,a dn throw a raptor i have laying around on, that cat is killing i know it and how come i'am not obd1?

·
Registered
29 Posts
My cat on my 95 (OBDII) blazer was rattling summer before last, and I didnt have the money to replace it, so i just took it off and gutted it. I immediatly noticed a increase in power and a rather cool exhaust sound (stock muffler). After a few days it gave me a bad post-cat o2 sensor code. I replaced it and had no more problems with it during the warm weather, but on the really cold, wet days I do occasionaly get a code (0300 - Random Misfire). It idles like a loggin truck, but clears up almost immediatly. Im not sure if the weather or the cat has anything to do with it or not though. It makes my truck sound like a 350 with cherry bombs, through all RPM ranges. It is louder in the truck, but not my much. Over a year after I gutted my cat and I have no ill-effects (maybe the code 0300, but im not sure) Hope that helps!

·
Primed And Ready
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats alot fo help man, i'am gogin to see about getting this bitch off :flame: and welding a pipe staright through it, then maybe geeting a new sensore after the cat

·
Registered
29 Posts
I didnt even weld a pipe, i just used a piece of rebarb and gutted it. I think the fact that it remains in whole, allows it to become a resonance chamber, creating the 350 c-bomb sound. welding a pipe might cut down on that noise (something ive thought about)

·
Road Race/Auto X S10
3,828 Posts
When I ran a straight pipe it was ok. Before I got the cams and heads I ran Gibson headers, stock Ypipe, gutted cat, 2 1/4" straight pipe and it was perfect.

Now I'm running Gibson Headers, SLP Y-pipe, 3" into Vforce muffler(POS!), into 2 1/2" out.

Both setups were/are perfect. With the first setup I would ALWAYs have people asking what kind of exhaust is that, and when I said none they had a weird confused look on their face. Now with the muffler its to quite at high rpms. I'm either going to get a cut out or a different muffler.

·
Primed And Ready
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well it's morning now and i'm going outside to put my mufler on....i'll let you guys know how the difference is i really don;t care for a truck being loud unless your getting on it :burnout: . so hopefully this helps out the torque aspect. hit you guys up in a bit

·
Registered
67 Posts
ok, so basically, u guys convinced me. Im gonna gut my cat. and yeah, im OBD1 cause my computer is under the passenger side dash. Anyways, thanks guys!

·
Primed And Ready
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok i put the muffler on, i'm not the greatest welder still an amateur, but it came out pretty good... bloody cold out though. anyways the torque is back and the hp feels abit better, maybe it's all in my head. but that damn cat couldn't;t get that sob off there. i'm going to save up and get a real exhaust soon but for now it will do

·
www.myspace.com/MINTSICK
4,532 Posts
My brother has a no cat or precat and 40 series muffler with stock exhaust, it sounds pretty mean and loud. Whats with people saying it makes your lose power/torque? Could someone try and explain this to me. I'm running JBA headers, into stock y-pipe, straight pipe (where pre-cat was) onto the cat, into a 40 series flow with a 2 foot flex pipe angled out before the rear tire. I was leaning towards taking the cat off and running a straight pipe through that....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts