S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wrecked my 1994 SS the other day on the highway. I hit a shredded semi truck tire going 70mph. It knocked the front bumper around a bit and took of the license plate holder, chipped some paint and it tore up the roll pan pretty bad, and cracked the rear quarter panels next to the roll pan. I checked with my insurance agent and she is sure that they would put it as a collision if I put in a claim which would raise my rates, etc. :wtf: I got a quote from a shop to fix it and it came to about $2000, so more than enough to total it out. But I do not want to put a claim in on it and have my rates shoot up and barely get anything for it. So I am going to fix it myself.

My questions are: 1) Is LMC the only place with the oe roll pan? They are on backorder right now from them so...

2) Has anyone tried the Chevrolet Performance Roll Pan from Summit? -http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-15958890/overview/make/chevrolet

It looks the same as OE, or similar. Not sure how close it is?

3) I've seen numerous ones on eBay, just none that are like the OE one and I am not sure how well these would fit?

4) Anyone replace the front bumper? Which one did you use? I dont absolutely have to replace it but if it is cheap enough then I will.

5) Replacing the quarter panels isnt really an option for me and both corners are cracked next to the roll pan. Any ideas?

Its kind of turning into a headache. Not sure what I have full coverage for on insurance if something minor like this isnt even covered? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
SyTy Speed Shop
1,147 Posts
I think the LMC roll pan is going to be the closest to the OE one, but not sure about the quality, although most of there stuff is pretty good.

I have a stock 94-97 rear bumper and end caps off my Black 97 SS if your interested in going that route. Front bumper should be an easy straight up swap, just 4 bolts and the side braces. I have the stock one from my 97 SS if your interested. I'm installing a Street Scene SS bumper cover.

·
32,797 Posts
My questions are: 1) Is LMC the only place with the oe roll pan? They are on backorder right now from them so...

2) Has anyone tried the Chevrolet Performance Roll Pan from Summit? -http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-15958890/overview/make/chevrolet

It looks the same as OE, or similar. Not sure how close it is?

3) I've seen numerous ones on eBay, just none that are like the OE one and I am not sure how well these would fit?

4) Anyone replace the front bumper? Which one did you use? I dont absolutely have to replace it but if it is cheap enough then I will.
1) No, and LMC is usually the most expensive place to buy from

2) That is the OE GM rollpan. Several places sell them, they are even on Amazon:

3) They do show up on ebay every now and then: http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Chevrolet S10 GMC S15 EXTREME Roll Pan Bumper NEW GM Performance PN 15958890&_itemId=281288717621

4) Aftermarket replacements are pretty cheap (Keystone, Partstrain, Certifit), definitely a big step down in quality and fit through, but many don't mind. And note that places like LMC sell the same aftermarket quality that everyone does, they just price theirs much higher to make more money (those catalogs cost them $$$$ to make) and because lots of people tend to think paying more means better quality.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Firstgens- thanks i think im gomna stick with the roll pan

96blazer- good to know. Thanks for the info

Justanss- ah ok cool. Looks like thats where i will be ordering it from. How much did it cost you to paint it? Thanks

·
Registered
288 Posts
Check with your insurance company. Normally, that would be considered a claim against your comprehensive, not your collision. Sorry to hear about the damage. I had a run in with a front fascia from a tuner that chewed up the front end of mine. Hope it's back in one piece and looking good soon :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just bought my 97 SS in August and it was wrecked in the back pretty bad when I got it (well it was pretty much a total wreck everywhere). I bought a GM roll pan off Ebay that looked just the same as the OE and it was great it didn't even need body work to fit! I also had to replace the tailgate and I ended up getting a new one off ebay as well but its a Taiwanese one not GM. you can tell the quality is a lot worse but at least it has a tailgate.

This is what I started with...the gate could hardly be moved.

This is the end result...and I hate to admit it some spray paint was all I used :rolleyes:

I ended up trying to bend the exhaust back but its still not 100%

and again the paint isn't 100% but all the paint on the truck is pretty horrible it was a cheap respray by the previous owner who didn't like having a white truck.
Jess

1 - 7 of 7 Posts