S-10 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Reg Cab ShortShort Bed
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Alright guys, break it up. Nothing to see there...

Some crusty LS1 calipers were sourced from eBay and freshened up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Well, the brakes are on hold. I had to order a seal kit. Not only did no parts house have them but the first 3 I went to couldn't even find a part number. The 4th place wouldn't even try - "Dude, nobody buys that stuff anymore". 5th place, O'reileys will have them for me on Monday. I'll bet there are upper managers for those other parts companies who are ringing their hands over loosing sales to the internet...

·
Old Fart
3,616 Posts
Well, the brakes are on hold. I had to order a seal kit. Not only did no parts house have them but the first 3 I went to couldn't even find a part number. The 4th place wouldn't even try - "Dude, nobody buys that stuff anymore". 5th place, O'reileys will have them for me on Monday. I'll bet there are upper managers for those other parts companies who are ringing their hands over loosing sales to the internet...
Did you try NAPA? My local NAPA is the best for hard to find parts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Did you try NAPA? My local NAPA is the best for hard to find parts.
My first stop. The guy at the counter could not find a listing. Rebuilt calipers or hardware kits but not piston seals or boots. Likewise, if I look on NAPA web site - same results.

·
Old Fart
3,616 Posts
My first stop. The guy at the counter could not find a listing. Rebuilt calipers or hardware kits but not piston seals or boots. Likewise, if I look on NAPA web site - same results.
I have been dealing with the same guy for years and only go to him and he always finds what I need. It pays to have a relationship with someone that knows how to do their job. He is now the assistant manager of the store. Face to face is always better.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I know what you're saying. I used to BE that guy in motorcycle parts. These days it's hard to find someone with the deep knowledge, experience and a desire to help. My local parts counters are manned by young kids that don't know much of anything beyond typing year, make and model and into the computer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Today I scored four 17x9.5 C4 Corvette wheels. Not exactly my favorite style but they are the right size and for $150 the price was very right.
Bonus - they have tires that hold air. I won't have to dish out $$ for tires until I'm actually ready to drive it.

·
Old Fart
3,616 Posts
I know what you're saying. I used to BE that guy in motorcycle parts. These days it's hard to find someone with the deep knowledge, experience and a desire to help. My local parts counters are manned by young kids that don't know much of anything beyond typing year, make and model and into the computer.
That is why I prefer NAPA over Advance, Auto Zone, O'Reilly type stores as they usually have older experienced counter people.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #117 (Edited)
Did a little more weight reduction. This is the rearmost 27" of the frame.

And started fabricating the mounts for the Corvette IRS "Batwing"
That bed support crossmember will be moved forward a few inches. The rivet heads are ground off but I need it attached for now to keep the frame rails aligned.

101 - 120 of 142 Posts