S-10 Forum banner
581 - 600 of 602 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Irregular Cab Short-Short Bed
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #582 ·
b-0n
Today's project is to supply fresh cool air to the Caterpillar diesel in the motohome.
In the last 5000 miles I've only driven on dirt roads for a total of less than 10 miles. I was shocked a few weeks ago when I pulled out the nearly new $150 air filter and shook nearly a pound of powdery dust out of it.
Replacing the air filter in the beast is no joke. $150 from Rock Auto. Bigger than a 5 gallon bucket.

White Bottle Home appliance Grille Liquid

·
Old Fart
4,516 Posts
Replacing the air filter in the beast is no joke. $150 from Rock Auto. Bigger than a 5 gallon bucket.

View attachment 354546
Did you know that K&N makes filters for those? I worked for a trucking company in the LA area for a while and all of their trucks had K&N filters in them. They even made a special bath to clean them to speed things up when servicing so many trucks a week.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #590 ·
Did you know that K&N makes filters for those? I worked for a trucking company in the LA area for a while and all of their trucks had K&N filters in them. They even made a special bath to clean them to speed things up when servicing so many trucks a week.
Yes, I've heard but I don't have faith in a K&N to keep out the super fine dust. Now that I have the fresh air intake my filters should last 30K+ miles. That might be one replacement every 2-3 years.

·
Old Fart
4,516 Posts
Yes, I've heard but I don't have faith in a K&N to keep out the super fine dust. Now that I have the fresh air intake my filters should last 30K+ miles. That might be one replacement every 2-3 years.
I know you shouldn't have to replace one often on a motorhome unless you travel all the time. My KW only had to be changed about once a year. about 120,000 miles but it had 2 large filters and that was almost all interstate highway miles.

I have used K&N for over 30 years with no problems as so have thousands of off-road racers. K&Ns attract fine dust like a magnet. I used them on both my dirt bikes and 4X4s and they have caught all the fine dust we have in Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah. What started me using them was when they first came out I was wrenching for a Suzuki dealership in Albuquerque that had engineers come all the way from Japan to test them so they would know how to deal with warranty claims on a bike using them and they determined they worked much better than a paper filter on their dirt bikes.

·
Old Fart
4,516 Posts
I haven't seen the Sandias for a long time, thanks for the picture!

Reactions: ProCycle

·
Boozebag
10,041 Posts
Pro, Thanks for the tag.
I wish I was in Albuquerque...

Working in a hospital is NO FUN!
Tuba City has 2 restaurants, one is a Denny's and the other is way cheesy.
The rest? Fast food and a crappy Chinese take out joint.
No beer or booze, the nearest normal town is 1 hour each way.
Spell = H E L L...

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,633 Posts
Hey @ProCycle - you could fashion a cheesecloth insert for your fresh air inlet- its fine enough to cut down the dust particles plus it will keep bugs and small critters out of the air box,and cheesecloth is dead cheap.- We did this for some of the equipment we had in the Gulf War as the sand over there sucked balls.

Reactions: ProCycle

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #600 ·
It's tradition, any ride with a KTM you have to stop and fix something... ;)
And often you have to fix something else
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

Hood Asphalt Grey Font Sports equipment

Modern transponder key. Nobody can make one. Replacements have to be ordered from the factory programmed to the individual bike's VIN. We ain't got time fo' dat. So, in this case, a spare is being sent overnight UPS by an understanding wife.

While my buddy Adam was waiting for a local friend with a trailer and arranging the UPS I had a good 290 mile ride.
Met up with Mr Yeti who is also a long way from home.
Tire Cloud Sky Plant Wheel

And did a lap around the Salton Sea
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Vehicle

581 - 600 of 602 Posts