S-10 Forum banner
561 - 580 of 602 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Irregular Cab Short-Short Bed
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #561 ·
If you ever are traveling across Idaho you MUST stop in Twin Falls and have dinner and/or drinks at 'Elevation 486'. Great food and a stunning view. That's the Snake River in the bottom of the canyon.

elevation486.jpg

·
Registered
269 Posts
I really like that transformation of the size and how it comes together. With that wheelbase and motor combo , that could be one handful of pickup !

Reactions: ProCycle

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #564 ·
Are you going to be around home in mid to late November @ProCycle?

I'll be heading south by you on my way moving East before too long. Maybe @Mad Max will line up a trip too and we'll finally meet.
I should be around. My next big travel plans are to get out of the rain for a few weeks in December/January.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #566 ·
I'll reach out directly when the days get closer. My wife flies out on the 13th and the moving van gets packed on the 15th. I just have to get the fleet ready for travel and the shop packed up after that...

·
time to get cereal
5,818 Posts
Man, where are you finding these old school smilies? We used to have a ton of cool ones on this forum.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #570 ·

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #571 ·
I finally finished the 'doghouse' cover. This took way longer than it looks like it should have...
It's made from 1/4" honeycomb aluminum panel. The corner was made by gluing the two pieces together with kitty hair which was also used for a reinforcement fillet on the back side of the corner. The edges of the honeycomb are filled with bondo and the bolt holes have steel collars epoxied in place so tightening the screws won't crush the panel.

Brown Rectangle Wood Wall Material property

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #573 ·
-- Intermission --

Today's project is to supply fresh cool air to the Caterpillar diesel in the motohome.

In the last 5000 miles I've only driven on dirt roads for a total of less than 10 miles. I was shocked a few weeks ago when I pulled out the nearly new $150 air filter and shook nearly a pound of powdery dust out of it. I knew the stock air intake was in the perfect place to capture dust kicked up by the rear tires but I didn't realize how bad it really was. I definitely expect to see a LOT more dirt roads so this week I solved this particular shortcoming of the original design.

Here's what the original intake looks like looking up from the ground. It's under the rear cap to the right of the radiator.

I found these components on eBay and ordered them up.
6 inch duct hose, 4x10x6 register glove, 6-1/2" hole saw, stainless steel wall vent.

I cut and folded the "register glove" to fit over the factory intake box.

It happened to be a perfect fit. It's held with sheet metal screws and silicone glue.

Then the scary part. Cutting a 6-1/2" hole in the side of the rear cap.

Flexible duct attached top and bottom.

I used wire reinforced vinyl duct. I think it will hold up better to vibrations than the aluminum stuff.

Stainless steel exterior cap won't let rainwater into the ducting. Done

OK, back to your regularly scheduled S-10 forum postings...

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,750 Posts
Yes, it is. Although not as bad as it looks in the pic. There's about 3/4" at the tightest spots.
I'll have to make a heat shield for the starter and probably wrap the down pipe.
Have you considered a ceramic coat or VHT Ceramic Exhaust paint? I have both on my truck and it works really well. Manifolds are ceramic coated, and the rest of the system is VHT.

·
Boozebag
10,041 Posts
I had the header on my mini truck high temp coated (you saw it)
It looks as good as it came from the powder shop 9 months ago.

I used the VHT silver on the headers in my 91 3.4 S10...
I prepped exactly as the instructions said, even primed with the VHT primer.
I was at a Residence Inn, baked the headers in the room oven...
Set off the damn fire alarm for the whole hotel.
No bueno.

561 - 580 of 602 Posts