S-10 Forum banner
521 - 540 of 573 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Irregular Cab Short-Short Bed
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #528 ·
The next big job is a roll bar. Just a 4 point cage at least for now.
I really struggled with cutting miters for the tube joints when I did the K-frame. Yeah, it turned out OK but I know how many joints didn't get cut quite the way I wanted. Plus, anybody bought steel lately? It's gone up as much as plywood! I don't want to waste any with trial and error cuts. So I turned to the internet to get some more education or pointers or something. What I found was an online calculator that creates a printable template for cutting the tube ends. TubeNotcher Pattern Creator Tool . I'm hooked on this. Building stuff with tube is suddenly much less intimidating.
Here's a printout for two tube joints where the angle needs to be 84.3 degrees.
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Pattern

Cut out the templates.
Gesture Font Trunk Handwriting Material property

Wrap the tube end and mark it with a sharpie.
Automotive tire Cylinder Engineering Gas Composite material

·
Boozebag
9,954 Posts
More chop chop to the mini bed... 😱

Roll bar looks amazing - as usual!
Thanks for the link to the notch program.
When I return home I will def be using the program.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #531 ·
More chop chop to the mini bed... 😱

Roll bar looks amazing - as usual!
Thanks for the link to the notch program.
When I return home I will def be using the program.
The templates allowed me to notch the cross bar to within 1/16" of the length needed to fit in the exact place I wanted it. And have them precisely in the same plane.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #539 ·
[email protected] van doghouse.

There gonna be access panels or anything? I guess there's not much that needs messing with back there really.
Yes, the pink stuff (honeycomb aluminum panels) will come off in one piece. Held in place with Dzus fasteners.
The top half of the CAD (cardboard assisted design) will come off with a few screws.

I'll definitely need to get in from the back. Valve adjustments, spark plugs, starter, manifold sensors, trans dipstick, etc will need direct access.

521 - 540 of 573 Posts