Yes, exactly that. A plate on top with a bend in it to get the angle right. Then gussets front and back that angle outward at the bottom.
The next step is to fab mounts on the lower control arms. Then make a dummy shock like I did for the rear to get location and alignment right. Damn, I bet I tossed that dummy shock in the recycling...
@Mad Max requested more pics. Here's what I've got.
I gave the hood another coat of rattle can Rustoleum enamel and bolted it on. Also trimmed the left fender flare and bolted it on.
That's all the progress on the truck.
I've been tinkering away with the Christinis. Bike #1 is getting close to be being complete. I need a few more small parts for the AWD system.
I went through the front drive stuff. Cleaned things up, put in a bunch of new bearings and greased the crap out of all the moving parts.
New front tire, went through the front and rear brakes. I don't remember if I mentioned that these are ex-Border Patrol bikes. Every single piece is crusted up with Texas dirt. Everything touched by the Border Patrol 'mechanics' is f***ed up in some way.
I've made a couple improvements to the motorhome. The original helm seats were subtle torture devices. Ripped them out and gave 'em away.
They look friendly but sit in either one for 6 hours and you'll be ready to scream.
I replaced them with a pair of middle row seats out of a Toyota Sienna. More comfortable with better support.
And they fold down to make a 'table'
The ergonomics for the driver were apparently set up for a T-Rex. Someone with huge long legs and tiny short arms. So I'm working on improving that. The new chair is several inches lower and mounted further back. I replaced the gigantic 18" trucker steering wheel with a more reasonable 16" wheel.
This rig had a fold-out couch which was just as useless for sitting or sleeping. Tossed it out and fitted an old desk I had. I cut out a section behind the desk and built a box to hold a flat screen TV.
I had the steering gearbox rebuilt. This thing easily weighs over 100 pounds and was a major PITA to R&R.
Motorhome projects are winding down now. Only a couple more little projects to get tied up. We've got at least 3 trips out scheduled for this summer and fall. No doubt there will be more needs added to the list after each trip.
Pretty soon I'll get back to spending time on the race truck.
Earlier this year when I wasn't working on the race truck....
Added 800 watts of solar power to the RV
Built a platform in the back of the Jeep to tie down a pair of folding electric bikes. 2 long drawers underneath to carry tools, water, supplies, etc.
Fabricated my own homebrew attachment points for the tow bar
The motorhome has an unusual suspension system. Instead of springs or airbags it has Goodyear rubber 'torsilastic' torsion bars. Similar to what you've probably seen on low deck trailers except they are longitudinal. A pair for each wheel. The chassis hangs from these With a stack of ride height shims. After 25+ years the rubber tends to sag a bit. Removing shims gets the ride height back up to spec. Each shim is 1/4". It needed to go up 2" in the back and 1-1/2" in the front. I had to make a special extra deep socket.
I made a "Basement Penthouse" for the cat. A cat door under the refrigerator with a crawl hole down to one of the belly storage bays. The litter box stays down there out of our way and the cat has a safe place to see what's going on at the campsite.