S-10 Forum banner

241 - 260 of 263 Posts

·
time to get cereal
3,541 Posts
I've always wondered if it works that way... I've contemplating removing the fuse out of a car with electric assist but have never actually tried it.

·
Registered
1991 Reg Cab ShortShort Bed
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Just sitting in the truck with the steering motor and steering wheel I can turn it easily enough. There's a bit of resistance but nowhere near as much as an unpowered power steering box.
I'm pretty sure the steering ratio on the Interpid rack is so high that it won't be any fun to drive without power assist.

·
time to get cereal
3,541 Posts
Yea, the rack I have is plenty fun for back road driving, but is too slow for something like autocross.

·
time to get cereal
3,541 Posts
My truck will have manual LS1 brakes and rear discs... eventually, lol.

40,453 Posts
All my A body Mopars had manual brakes and I loved the feel and being able to modulate the braking myself. Wouldn't want manual brakes on anything with drum all the way around though. Those are plenty scary on their own during panic stops.

·
time to get cereal
3,541 Posts
The only manual brake car (only car I know for sure had manual brakes anyway) that I've driven is a '57 TR3, which had discs in front. Let's just say I didn't get to drive it spiritedly, it was a fresh restore and not mine lol.

I see 4 wheel drum Mustangs at car shows all of the time, never got to drive one though. Seems like that crowd likes to keep stuff more original than most of the classic Camaros I see.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
A little progress with the steering including a quick release steering wheel.

I performed a little surgery of my own on the steering box input shaft. Cut the taper off, drilled it to accept a piece of 3/4 tube and welded up an extension.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
More steering shaft pieces being built. This is for the output side of the motor. The stub to be welded on fits 3/4" 'Double D' steering components.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
A major milestone - I can steer the truck with the steering wheel!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #254 (Edited)
You know the old saying 'If all you have is a hammer, every job looks like a nail"?
Well there's a flip side to that. If you have a fully equipped machine shop every job will require a lathe, a mill, bandsaw, drill press, welder, grinder, press, etc AND a hammer of course.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Wheels I waited 6 weeks for finally arrived. Tires mounted up today so I had to stick 'em onto the truck to see how they look.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
Now that I have wheels that will fit over the brakes I can assemble them. I guess the next tasks are to disassemble the whole front end and paint everything that's still bare or primered.

·
time to get cereal
3,541 Posts
Opens hood, nice 4 banger you got there.... oh, wait.

Reactions: ProCycle
241 - 260 of 263 Posts