S-10 Forum banner

221 - 240 of 272 Posts

·
UnderDawg
42 Posts
did the same thing to ...........well i called it a blazeup..started with a 78 blazer, Found it anoying when people ask what year it was. had to get assemblers title. save all your receipts. I spent a couple of hours one night with a Michigan state trooper proving there was stolen parts on my truck...Actually wasn't all that bad. sat in my driveway drinking Jack and Coke while he climbed all over my truck. ahhh memories
20200801_205006 (1).jpg

·
UnderDawg
42 Posts
ended up with a 5ft bed...454, 4;56 gears,locker,tru trac. 3 speed with creeper gear , 205 part time transfer case, 39"x18 mickey Thompsons, 15x14 conversion wheels (safety beads). Didn't even thing about a winch.

·
time to get cereal
3,587 Posts
Check the wheel base of a 2 door s10 blazer, might make job easier. and frame mods would be easy if any.
You're a little late to the party... and wondering if you even bothered reading the whole thread, because he's got the frame pretty much done already.

Reactions: ProCycle

·
Registered
1991 Reg Cab ShortShort Bed
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
+1
Yup. And I did research Blazers. Using a Blazer frame wouldn't have really saved me any work. The SS10 wheelbase is 5 inches shorter than a 2-door Blazer.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
The Safari motorhome has been sucking up almost all my shop time. I did get the steering motor supports in. No longer hanging by straps.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
That damn motorhome has sucked up a bunch of my time. Then I had some surgery after which I've not been allowed to do any lifting or twisting. And one of my employees had his Subaru on the lift for a couple weeks replacing axles, brakes and front end parts.

BUT, I am back. I just rolled the SS-10 back into the shop an hour ago. The first order of business will be further relocation of the electric steering motor. It has to go lower and further under the dash. I ordered up a quick release steering wheel to make it simpler to extend the steering shaft. Also, wheels and tires finally showed up. Photos as soon as I can get them mounted up. Progress is still going to be slow as the doctor doesn't want me lifting more than 20 pounds. Ugh

·
time to get cereal
3,587 Posts
That's cool, not worth injuring yourself for a car.

·
Old Fart
3,941 Posts
That damn motorhome has sucked up a bunch of my time. Then I had some surgery after which I've not been allowed to do any lifting or twisting. And one of my employees had his Subaru on the lift for a couple weeks replacing axles, brakes and front end parts.

BUT, I am back. I just rolled the SS-10 back into the shop an hour ago. The first order of business will be further relocation of the electric steering motor. It has to go lower and further under the dash. I ordered up a quick release steering wheel to make it simpler to extend the steering shaft. Also, wheels and tires finally showed up. Photos as soon as I can get them mounted up. Progress is still going to be slow as the doctor doesn't want me lifting more than 20 pounds. Ugh
I know the feeling I'm getting my right knee rebuilt next month and will be down for 6 to 8 weeks. Did I miss something? Is the steering aftermarket or from a production vehicle? I love the electric-assist steering in my Golf R.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
I know the feeling I'm getting my right knee rebuilt next month and will be down for 6 to 8 weeks. Did I miss something? Is the steering aftermarket or from a production vehicle? I love the electric-assist steering in my Golf R.
Steering is out of a Kia Soul. It comes with the controller mounted directly to the motor assembly. In the Kia the power assist is speed sensitive. Stronger at low speed and less assist at high speed. When the controller doesn't receive a signal from the ECM it defaults to about 40% assist. Having the default mode makes it an easy retrofit. All it needs is a 60 amp power feed. There are several cars that work this way. Kia, Toyota, Saturn and others I'm sure. The Kia unit looked to be more heavy duty than the others.

·
Old Fart
3,941 Posts
The Golf R works like that as well, variable-ratio 9.5:1 to 14.1:1 and 2.1 turns lock to lock makes it very sweet to drive. 😉

·
time to get cereal
3,587 Posts
Yea, it's just too bad you'll never get any type of feedback with electric assist.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
Yea, it's just too bad you'll never get any type of feedback with electric assist.
You think so? It appears to be a solid straight through shaft. More directly connected than a power steering box.
We'll see.

·
Old Fart
3,941 Posts

·
time to get cereal
3,587 Posts
I mean, compared to just running manual? Night and day difference. I've driven plenty of both. Don't get me wrong, electric assist can be fantastic, but not for feedback.

Oh, and I'm not comparing it to a gearbox at all. What you have is so much better than a gearbox could ever hope to imagine, lol.

You have never driven a Golf R, have you?
You've never driven a Lotus Elise, have you?

·
Old Fart
3,941 Posts
No, but I have driven an Esprit, Europa, and Elan, does that count? Mine has enough feel to it to tell what is going on. I look at it as just not as harsh as manual steering.

·
time to get cereal
3,587 Posts
I guess I'm just a manual steering fanboy. I didn't even think about it until I drove a Triumph TR6, then I was hooked.

221 - 240 of 272 Posts