S-10 Forum banner

201 - 220 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Reg Cab ShortShort Bed
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Are your legs cut off at the knees? 😆

Pedals and leg room should be... interesting.
Yes, there's more challenges ahead. But, I'm not putting the bench seat back in. It's getting a pair of Sparco race seats and they can sit well rearward from the original bench location. Meaning I can move the pedals rearward also. Maybe 6 inches or more. The bigger puzzle is going to be making the steering shaft and gas pedal coexist. I'll probably need a floor mounted VW style gas pedal.

I need the seat before I can even begin working out where all the controls go.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
The height of the frame from the ground in the front looks awesome... too bad you'd have to have zero suspension travel to run it like that.
Now that it's getting more complete I see that the decreased ground clearance of the Innovative Racecraft K-member is a big problem. With the 2" drop spindles and longer ball joints there's no practical way to keep the K-member from dragging the ground when I'm hard on the brakes.

So, I'm gonna cut most of that sucker out and fabricate my own. It's what I should have done from the beginning. And it should have been obvious when I first started to fit it up. It hangs down a good 2-1/2 inches below the control arm pivots. If this thing was strictly a drag racer it would be perfectly fine. I'll build something stronger and better with way more ground clearance.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Ok, the offending, expensive, chromoly K-member is chopped out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #206 (Edited)
I made up some mandrels to locate and align the control arm mounting ears.
These are 1/2" all-thread. Turned down to 12mm on one end to center and align the rear pivot and sleeved up to 14mm for the front pivot.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Here the mandrels are in place with the control arm and new CNC cut ears. Those ears have to angle down about 30 degrees so the new lower frame tubes don't interfere with the steering rack.
This will gain me 2 inches of ground clearance. I'll use larger 1-3/4 tube to make it all more ridgid. Also the ears are about 3/4" shorter which will help the strength and rigidity as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
All the fabrication of the new K-member is done. I have a ton more ground clearance and the whole assembly is stronger and more rigid.

Also, I suck at cutting angled miters for round tubing - but I am getting a little better at it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
My Sparco race seats arrived.

And I made a pair of seat brackets. These are the most complicated parts I've made so far with the CNC plasma table.

Soon I can start figuring out how to put the interior together. Steering, pedals, roll cage.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I'm surprised you don't have a bend press or sheet metal brake. That's one of my favorite companions of the plasma table to print shaped brackets on the fly.

It's looking awesome. Makes me reconsider calling my front suspension done.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
I'm surprised you don't have a bend press or sheet metal brake. That's one of my favorite companions of the plasma table to print shaped brackets on the fly.

It's looking awesome. Makes me reconsider calling my front suspension done.
I do have those but the brake isn't good for anything thicker than 18ga and the bending attachment for my press isn't always as accurate as I'd like..

For these brackets I cut a 'broken line' with the plasma burner and folded it on the line. Makes for a very crisp bend exactly where I want it. Then a few weld beads to put some strength back into the fold.

·
time to get cereal
3,359 Posts
Let's see a pic of your legs in the footwell sitting in the seat.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #215 (Edited)
It's nowhere near as tight as you probably think it is. 15-3/4" wide where my feet will sit. Which is only 1/2" tighter than my 2007 Corvette.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Steering column with electric power assist is mocked up. It's just hung in place with straps, wires and bungees.
I have to do a little more carving on the lower left side of the doghouse for steering shaft clearance.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Not much progress this week. I did make a few stays which will be welded in to create a support structure for the steering motor.
Here's 3. It will need 2 or 3 more but I can't make them until I have these welded in place.
Round tube with the ends flattened and bent in the press is a simple way to make supports.

·
time to get cereal
3,359 Posts
Looks like the bumper supports on a 2nd gen GMC.

Reactions: ProCycle

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
The reason I haven't got much done this week on the SS10 is this Safari Motorhome is now added to the fleet.
It's pretty deluxe , clean and straight but still needs a couple of weeks of TLC. Fixing this and that and making sure everything works properly.

201 - 220 of 226 Posts