S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have insights on this? It is a 2003 QC 4x4 and I am the original owner. It has around 65,000 miles on it and has never been in any sort of accident.
The light will come on for a minute...or 5 minutes...then go off. Seems completely random, as even on a smooth road, it can just go on, and just as fast go off...or not. It generally is always off after the system self-test, and when I park it, it is off.

Thanks for any thoughts. I finally have all its little quirks fixed except this one.

·
time to get cereal
3,562 Posts
Oh, sorry. I would check the connections at the sensors, scan for codes, etc.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, sorry. I would check the connections at the sensors, scan for codes, etc.
Is there some pictorial or diagram you could point me to...so I can find where the connections are? I don't have a scanner that handles SRS, and it does seem likely that it would be a loose connection somewhere, given that it resets itself (turns the light off) and is so erratic.

·
time to get cereal
3,562 Posts
Ok, well the light going on and off makes me assume there is a loose connection, meaning sometimes it's connected and sometimes it isn't. The wiring diagrams are in the electrical section in the stickies. I would go to a dealer and have them scan your airbag codes, then you'll know for sure what to look for.

·
Been there Done it
8,931 Posts
The 2 primary SRS impact sensors are on the bottom of the radiator support behind the bumper and are in an ideal location to get wet a lot. If there is any corrosion inside the connectors it could cause it to intermittently cause the light to go on and off. There are other connections, but I'd check those 2 first. It's a good idea when working on SRS wiring to disconnect the battery. Might save buying a bag and a window.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 2 primary SRS impact sensors are on the bottom of the radiator support behind the bumper and are in an ideal location to get wet a lot. If there is any corrosion inside the connectors it could cause it to intermittently cause the light to go on and off. There are other connections, but I'd check those 2 first. It's a good idea when working on SRS wiring to disconnect the battery. Might save buying a bag and a window.
Thanks guys! I found the wiring diagram, as well as the physical location of the front sensors. Looks like it really isn't a complex system. The truck has not seen harsh treatment inside, so I am hoping those two sensors contain the problem.
Warning taken about disconnecting the battery. I ASSUME that if I disconnect the battery, I am free to open/clean the connectors at the sensors and put them back together without concern...and then reconnect the battery without causing a discharge of the airbag?

·
Been there Done it
8,931 Posts
You got it.
Actually they recommend touching the positive and negative cables to each other after disconnecting both to be sure there is no residual current or static somewhere in the system.
I never do it, but I also weld next to the gas tank w/o removing it. Keeps you alert.

Reactions: bradnchristine

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,184 Posts
additional info- after disconnecting battery- tape ends together and then TURN ON YOUR IGNITION- that will drain any capacitors that still have charge, just don't do this with newer vehicles- it kills their computer memory- alas, our S-10 are not that advanced. You will need to check both the sensors and the wires to them all the way back to the wire bundle behind the headlight assemblies. Easy way to do this- pull both headlights and plastic face in front of radiator and have at it.

Reactions: bradnchristine
1 - 10 of 10 Posts