S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Do what now?
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have a 99 2.2L 5 speed with about 70,000 miles on it. Just recently it has started to make a bad squealing noise when I'm in 1st and push the gas hard. I have already replaced the belt in hopes that it was that. But the noise is still there. I have had someone stand outside when the truck made the noise and they said it sounds like its coming from the front of the engine.

My only thought is that its the tensioner. Does anyone else have any ideas as to what it might be? I am gonna change the tranny fluid and the differential fluid this weekend to see if that helps it.

I really need some help on this. It doesn't seem to be causing any problems as of yet, but I am concerned what might actually be happening.

Thanks.

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
try to do it with the air off?
does it still do it?
if so its the ac clutch kicking in and your belps too loose so its the tensitoner.
if no then look inside the engine bay while someone does it and look for the pully that stops tunring could be a bearing in you alt or something.
Be safe dont go sticking you head into the fan.

·
Do what now?
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yah it does it with the a/c off.

Allright man I will take your advice and look at the pulley's and see if I can see one trying not to spin at the same speed as the others. Thanks for the advice.

Maybe I can figure this annoyance out.

·
!! TALK NOW !!
4,910 Posts
What I would do is take the belt off. Spin all the pulleys that you can by hand. See if you hear anything clicking or grinding. The smallest sound is multiplied when you are running the truck. I wish I would have done that the frist time. Would have saved me 50 bux

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
good luck like i said the pully will come to a dead stop to make that noise or vibrate all to hell.

·
baggin' in
218 Posts
Just a thought...

Just a thought but maybe the power steering pump is going bad? mine made a bad noise for about a week before mine just started shooting fluid everywhere, so check your blots for your PS and your PSP

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you changed the belt, make sure you have the right size. When I installed my under drive crank pulley I had a belt that was too big. The alternator was squeeking like crazy until I got the right belt.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yeah Listen to Kgry!!!
I used a cheap belt from autozone that started making a ton of noise in less than 2 weeks. After lots of troubble shooting I found the sound to be comming from the sealed bearing in the tensioner. I went to the dealer to get a new GM belt and a complete tensioner. It was then that I realized the Cheapo Autozone belt was quite inferior. Thinner, weaker, and so much shorter that the tensioner didn't have room to absorb any varience in pull on the belt which is likely why the tensioner bearing went out.

Another trick to isolate the noise source is a stethiscope. Or simply a large screw driver held up to your ear. Then probe the area of possible noise.
A much safer method is to use a laser thermometer. In the morning or after not running for 6-8 hrs start the engine so it makes the noise for a minute. Turn it off and check the pulleys for a hot one!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts