S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on a '96 s10 2.2l. Whenever I near full lock on a right turn, I get a loud squealing noise coming from somewhere in the front of the truck. It sort of sounds like something is rubbing at full lock when I can hear over the squeal, but I am not sure on that. I have checked the PS fluid and I do not see anywhere that the tire is rubbing on either the tire or frame. Any ideas on this one?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
could be due to an alignment, but also... as you turn full lock, it changes your toe. You tend to get a toe-out (i believe) when in a full lock turn so your front tires will squeal.
I really don't think it is the tires that are squealing, since it happens at such a low speed (less than 2 mph) and is too high pitched to make me think it is a tire. It sounds like a belt slipping but can't see how that could be. But no I haven't had an alignment lately but don't really see how that would fix my problem.

·
Registered
654 Posts
It is normal for the steering to make a growling noise at lock, it says so in the GM factory service manual.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is normal for the steering to make a growling noise at lock, it says so in the GM factory service manual.
It's not the normal "growl." And it happens when the wheel is at about 3/4 to full lock, not just right at full lock. I am leaning towards it being the power steering pump but haven't checked it out yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts