S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SS was about out of gas recently. As I was passing a car, I hit the gas pedal a little and my truck started spitting, sputtering and hesitating. I figured I was out of gas and luckily there was a station right in front of me. I got gas and cranked up and it STILL is doing the same thing. So I'm on the way home at 35mph, barely staying cranked, and decide SCREW IT, I gotta get home so i kick it up to 55 and it runs fine. The problem is at low speeds and idling. At idle, still running raggedy, I can hit the gas and it will die for a second and then surge. I changed the throttle position sensor but no help. Oh it also smell like rotten eggs. Nephew said it was the catalytic converter so we removed it but that didn't help either. Anyone have any other ideas. Thanks

·
9" strait pipes...
2,920 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your time guys. JustAnSS, I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key. hi_im_sean, thanks, I will try and get one!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does sound like Nut Kit and Spider assembly. You didn't mention if it threw a code, but my EGR gave me similar symptoms a year after I had replace my spider. I've never replaced it, but I've cleaned the EGR valve twice. Mine was completely clogged and frozen.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts

·
9" strait pipes...
2,920 Posts
Everybody who owns one of these trucks should get the egr gasket that incorporates a filter screen to prevent that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
R.I.P. RJB 7/10/17
1,268 Posts
I got one from a ex-coworkers brother who works at a Chevy Dealership, think it was an actual GM gasket. Had to clean my EGR 3 times before I got one.

·
9" strait pipes...
2,920 Posts
I got one from a ex-coworkers brother who works at a Chevy Dealership, think it was an actual GM gasket. Had to clean my EGR 3 times before I got one.
i believe it is only a gm part because i have never found one at autozone, oreilly, etc. although that was a few years back now.

you can also get 2 regular gaskets and layer a piece of metal screen in between them.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The EGR getting clogged is a royal pain in the rear, but the screened gasket does work very well. One of the gentlemen in my club gave me one to install and I haven't had a repeat of that problem. Good luck! Happy New Year everyone!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Replaced the catalytic converter (was smelling eggy), replaced muffler (HUGE hole in it), and cleaned the egr valve, and now it's running as smooth as a baby's butt. Thanks everyone for all your help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts