S-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me why there is a 5/8 inch thick 4" wide and 21" long leaf ? It's flat has no bend at all. I took it out so i could put tracktion bars on. Did i do a bad thing?

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
must have been some add on crap someone else did. it is not factory.

can you post a pic?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry no pic. so i can just leave it out without anf problems? I removed it so i could put traction bars on. they helped a little but not what i was hopeing for. But the bars made the rear stiffer. And the ride better.

·
General L33
1,950 Posts
You will have problems if you go to haul a heavy load or tow something with a heavy tongue weight.

The overloads are there to give the arched springs something flat to rest on when they are maxed out. If you put a heavier load than the springs can handle with no overload the springs will start to bend down around the axle eventually snapping the leafs.

·
Sold :'(
7,555 Posts
Would you cut your head off so you wouldn't feel your headache?

Traction bars are decently effective on stock (complete) springs. You made the springs worse (weaker) by removing the overload leaf, so now you're relying on the traction bars to make up for that as well.

I've tried traction bars, and they did ok, but they hung down too low. I've been running leaf spring helpers for about 6 years now with great results.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
I just seen 4" wide and was thinkin most springs arn't that wide even the overload spring, but rereading the post it is the overload spring.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wasn't real sure of the size so i just took a stab at it. But i do think i'm going to put them back on. I dont want any trouble pulling the bike trailor.
plus i picked up a set of 2 inch lowering blocks and bolts. But not sure on the angle?
i't does go to the front wright? Aslo one more thing- If i go to local salvage yard and got front spindles of a extreem. Are they lower than mine? wright now my front is 27-5/8 from ground to center of fender weel?

·
Pewter member
195 Posts
Extreme spindles and stock s10 spindles are the same, the extreme (ZQ8)package has 1.5 inch drop springs. The 4 cyl and 6 cyl have different rates so make sure if you go that route to get the correct springs. And get those overload leafs back in ASAP! And yes, the angle on the blocks, short side forward.

·
Sold :'(
7,555 Posts
If you're not sure if the truck at the junkyard is a ZQ8, check the inside of the glove box lid for the RPO sticker. Look for "ZQ8". If the glove box lid is gone, look under it to see if it has sway bars front and rear. Regular S10s had a smaller diameter sway bar in the front only, ZQ8s had a thicker bar (same bar as the Blazer), as well as a rear sway bar. I think the ZQ8 leaf spring pack consists of one less spring than the regular S10 leaf pack.

·
"factory freak"...
8,607 Posts
keep in mind that ZQ8/Etxremes are pretty rare, and often
get picked over for their suspension and body parts rather
quickly in the junkyard.

and unless you tend to carry really heavy loads in the bed
of your truck, you can leave the overload leafs out.
I've had mice off for years now, without issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts