S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Post Whore?
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after getting stuck with only one wheel spinning with my zexel torsen ive decided that i need to get the rear end locked up. getting a locker isnt an option because of the pricetag, so i think a spool is my only real alternative. im not too educated on them, so if someone could help me it would be appreciated. what is the difference between a mini spool and a spool? do i use my stock differential with one? anyone actually have one that they drive on the road? how bad do the tires chirp when turning? once again, thanks guys!

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
i think a locker on a daily road driver would be a bad thing. maybe your zexel is just defective? i think mini-spools are specifically made for dirt track vehicles, too, but i could be wrong.

·
Off Roadin' Member
1,277 Posts
haha same happened to me...the zexel is great until you need it...im getting a lockright for the rear, about $250

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
weld the spider gears then, if you want to be cheap.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
mini spool keeps your diff. full spool replaces diff. only thing cheaper than a spool is welding your spider gears together. if its cheapness your goin for then do the mini spool unless u got access to a welder. drivin on the road is gonna be a bitch and a half with any of these 3. the tires chirp around ever corner. i think how much it chirps depends on the axle and tires and weight of vehicle. my buddy has an 85 yota with welded rear on 35s and every time he turns the wheel when hes drivin (except lane changes) u can hear em chirpin. wears tires down a lil quicker this way. like i said if u want to go cheap then keep your stock axle and get the mini spool. if you want to get somethin nice like an arb then i suggest gettin a bigger rear end

·
Off Roadin' Member
1,277 Posts
i wish they made a mini spool for the 28 spline 7.62 rear end...all i can find is for 26 spline axles

·
Off Roadin' Member
1,277 Posts
i dont think a full spool will work on a c-clip axle without expensive c-clip eliminators...but i could be wrong.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
I don't believe there are any spools or mini spools available for your axle. If there were, you'd also have to do a C-clip eliminator kit. Welding the spider gears would be the super cheap way to go. I did it on my Toyota and like it much better than the lock right I had in before. The lock right always was engaging and disengaging, made for some big clunks and rather unpredictable driving. With the rear end welded you always know exactly what its going to do. If you want to keep your road manners perfect you'll need a selectable locker, and those are $$$$.

·
Mall wheeler
215 Posts
Have somebody who knows what their doing weld your diff. I wouldn't recommend welding a street truck the added stresses of pavement driving to a carrier thats been welded will shorten is life dramatically. I would save your pennies and do it right and buy a EZ locker or Lockright,.......blowin' a diff on the freeway could ruin your whole day.

·
Mall wheeler
215 Posts
I don't think I've seen spools for S10s, I believe a lockright is your only choice besides welding.

·
Hung Member
70 Posts
I have welded about 5 diffs. One diff was smaller than your 10 bolt and ran 35" tires with no fear of breakage even on the street. So to be concernered about a good welded diff is bullshite.

All you have to do is to wedge some bolt or other chunks of steel in the spider gears and weld the crap out of everything to get it to be as close to a solid piece of steel as you can get it, effectively making a full spool. My only concern with such a small diff is the axles but they should be ok with a smaller tire.

As you found out pussy tractions suck balls. I will never use on except on my never touch the dirt vehicles or my Metro.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Aww take it easy on them they just don't know any better. Also don't be so gun ho on welded diffs. Bucket you said it yourself you like my spool. Also if you are worried about churping tires then just put more pressure in them. At 15psi I can wake the dead with the slightest of a turn. But at 35psi I have to crank the wheel and floor it to get anything out of the tires. I am running 35" MT/Rs and man do they bark loud. I am serious at 15 psi it is loud.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts