S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever been approached or approached a manufacturer for sponsorships? If so, how did you go about doing it and what did you get out of it? I ask because I have some pretty huge plans for an S as soon as i get it (Z-Bed, NOS, $20k in stereo, custom doors...) and I want to see if i can find some financial backing so that i dont have to foot the bill for the tons of money i'll be putting into it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
X-Stylin735 said:
Has anyone ever been approached or approached a manufacturer for sponsorships? If so, how did you go about doing it and what did you get out of it? I ask because I have some pretty huge plans for an S as soon as i get it (Z-Bed, NOS, $20k in stereo, custom doors...) and I want to see if i can find some financial backing so that i dont have to foot the bill for the tons of money i'll be putting into it.
Hell man I live in the Harbor, you ain't gonna get a sponsership until you build a bad ass car or know someone with alot of money. Even then you will still front the bill. Hey I'm looking for another member to hit up the races in kent with a X so far I ahven't seen any others up there. I'm tired of all those freaking Rice burners thinking they're the ****.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd love to go kick some rice ass... too bad i'm rolling in an 88' ranger right now:cry: My friend's got a 66' le mans that will race it though... dual stages of NOS w/trans brake running the mid 10's

·
Registered
224 Posts
hmm....

you gotta start off by building something magazine quality-and I dont mean sending your picture to the back of the magazine. It has to be something that they find yu and do an article. If you get your vehicle in a magazine like that, then you can write a proposal to the company. If you get just an article, you can ask for small sponsorships. In otherwords, don't try hitting up wheel companies or major component manufacturers.When you get a cover story on the first ride, you can tun in a proposal fr a little more, but it helps if you buddy up with the guy that writes te article about the first truck. If you are guaranteed magazine coverage, you have a much better chance of sponsorship. You also have to make sure that you promise that you get your ride to a number of big events-not just podunk shows. When ou turn in a proposal, you have to include:
1)The intent of the vehicle, in other words, what is so great about it that they should sponsor you?
2)The major events you plan on attending, SEMA is the best one, and then just major shows after that. If you don't make thoe events you promise, it is BIG legal trouble.
3) A PROFFESIONAL QUALITY artists' rendering. These arent going to be cheap either. A truly nice rendering costs 150, up to as high as 900, depending on angles, details, and size.
4) A list of current sponsors. You may have had to buy the parts, but at least let them know you are using the top of the line products. Also, don't name-drop unless you TRULY know the rep from the company. These guys in the industry know each other, keep that in mind.
5) When you make the proposal, put it in aproffesional style portfolio binder, and take it to a place that specializes in graphic arts to do it. Don't just type it up on the computer, and throw it in there with a drawing your cousins friend did, and call it a day. A nice portfoio, with a rendering, letterhead on all of the pages( you know, a logo), and a title sticker will probably cost 150 bucks(just send a copy of the drawing). that is a one time fee, and after you see how it is made and the letterhead is designed, Yo can make the same thing to send to other companies. Check your spelling too!!!
After all of this work, the company may throw you a 40 dollar trinket, or even a couple grand worth of stuff. Now sit down and figure out what it's gonna cost to haul it to those shows, stay in hotels, gas money, and anything else they see fit. Now just go part with the money for your parts, and don't bethe industry's *****.

Welcome to the big time!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Oh yeah...

An s-10 is a ***** to get sponsors for, because so many people build them. You have to build an amazing truck to get a sponsor. Just a little advice from someone who has been down that road.

·
=Tenacious D=
27 Posts
X-Stylin735 said:
I'd love to go kick some rice ass... too bad i'm rolling in an 88' ranger right now:cry: My friend's got a 66' le mans that will race it though... dual stages of NOS w/trans brake running the mid 10's
Hey, what's wrong with rangers:p I like mine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whats wrong with rangers? well... Its an 1988 for one thing, its in a PPG Primer that has a pink tint to it :( and they are so hard to find parts for, or at least my year is. I mite keep it as a parts runner or something to haul my motocross bike with... but other then that, i dont like it.

·
=Tenacious D=
27 Posts
Motocross bike, nice. What kinda bike do you have.. I have a 2000 CR125, I love it. I really like the new CRF450, I'd like to own one of those.... sorry for getting off the topic:p

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Motocross... off-topic??? Think of the bike as an added accessory to the truck :thumbup: I have a 2001 yz 125...still making the payments. I figure the bike doubles the value of my ranger ;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
like i said...

he got in a magazine, and hes getting stuff. But that market, especially for Cavaliers isnt flooded yet, since not many people build nice ones. The truck market is absolutely flooded. Hes probabl not getting really expensive stuff yet either. When he starts gtting that, he is that company's ***** for a year. It actually sucks!!!

·
32,797 Posts
Sometimes shops or companies want experiment vehicles.
The use your vehicle to test, develop, and promote their products. You usually get to keep the product, but you gotta hand over your vehicle for a period of time.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thats true...

Yeah, sometimes theydo. Again though- Say a company wants to develop or display their new carbon fiber dash whatsits. The kit cost 240 bucks. You think, kool go for it. Well we need you to bring your truck to this show and this show, and then well take it to these shows. You can keep the peices. It only truly works out if you get sponsored by multiple companies, or by 1 really big time one(like a big 3 manufacturer). Its price versus economy again. A lot of companies sucker people that way. They make you think, oh a sponsor, awesome, they are going to give me free stuff!!! So you end up taking your truck to the other side of he country, for like a thousand bucks worth of stuff. Youre shelling out the bucks either way. An airridecompany snookered my buddy, they were developing a bolt in 3 link for a truck, and told him theyd like to use his truck. Sure he got a free airride system, but hes been without truck almost a year. Like I said, you are the industry's ***** once you take on a sponsor. The only people it truly works out for ar people on the west coast, as they are truly close to te really big events.

·
32,797 Posts
Re: Thats true...

ARCdidit said:
The only people it truly works out for ar people on the west coast, as they are truly close to te really big events.
:D :thumbup: And most of the companies are out here.

·
=Tenacious D=
27 Posts
Exotic Rides said:
found a pic of Chris' cavalier with Bobby Billard in front of it.
:uhoh: :thumbup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts