S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
What next??
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the best way to do this, I usually use crimp connectors but they ALWAYS seem to pull out and everything. Im specifically talking about my remote wire on my stereo, I have to run i to the radio, then to an eq, then to an amp, so i have to put three wires together..get what im saying? how is the best way? kinda twist them together, solder, and shrink wrap..

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I've used butt connects on my stereo, and haven't had any wires come apart for 3 years. But Flamed98 has the best way, to solder, and heat shrink.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Twist, solder, heat shrink wrap, and tape.

·
What next??
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
01_ZQ8_S-10 - where do you get the butt connectors at? I tried looking for those around here before and haven't been able to find them.

futuresweets10 - How is the proper way to use them? Mine ALWAYS seem to pull apart.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If you crimp you need to get a real crimping tool. not one of those multipurpose pieces of crap that crimp, cut wire and small bolts.

In any case soldering is much better. If a little more time consuming.

·
Registered
382 Posts
SC_Jimmy-
Ditto on the cheap-assed multi-purpose crimp tools.
Loose 'em!

Also, there are cheap-assed butt-splices and there are good (professional-grade) ones.
Soldering is best, if you know how.
Soldering isn't hard to do, but it's easy to screw up if you don't know how.

·
I am all that is man.....
433 Posts
futuresweets10 said:
If yoiu use the crimp connectors properly they are stronger than solder.
You must not know how to solder very good then. You twist the wires a certain way. Make an X with them and then twist them so that they makes a straight wire. Heat the wire with the soldering gun, then stick the solder to it. Heating the wire too makes the solder stick to the wires better. Heat shrink it and maybe wrap it with electrical tape if you want. It is much stronger than any butt connector.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Purchase a real crimping tool. The one I have has heavy yellow plastic coated handles and is adjustable as to the amount of force applied to the crimp connector. It ran about $25 or so at the automotive parts store and is designed to crimp insulated connectors in the red, yellow, and blue sizes. If using a crimp connector exposed to the weather I paint it and the wire with liquid tape - sold in a small can for a few bucks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts