S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway to disable the speed limiter on a 2k1 Blazer X w/o buying a programer or chip? Anyway to fool the computer into thinking you are going slower than you are or even just disable all together? Or is it just programmed into the ECU? I am sick and tired of hitting my speed limiter as I shift into fourth gear!! Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
10 Posts
I"m pretty sure your going to need a reprogramer, ie. Hypertech..

I remember hating my 97mph cut off, but then again, when you shift into OD at 100, the truck gives up anyway.

However, not having the cut off wile going down a bridge on a cold night, is another story :)

·
Oops...Dropped it
204 Posts
I think you can disable the speed limiter if you unhook the speedo BEFORE the computer. But be warned, this will also mess with your antilock brake system. Changing tire size will also have an effect on the speedo. Of coarse you could always just make it into a carberated engine and toss the computer all together.....;)

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
I heard that that works...I was thinking toggle switch...when you get close to 97...hit the switch...shut off the speedo...and keep going....do you think that would work...

·
Oops...Dropped it
204 Posts
Speed Limiter...

I've been told that it does work, but not nessairly the safest way to go about doing it. I'm just gonna save some cash and buy the programmer. It would suck to have your brakes lock up on you at high speed. And if something did go wrong, for whatever reason, you probably wouldn't be covered by your insurance, and you'd held liable for any damages. Afetr all, you are bypsaaing safety equipment. Later.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A toggle switch wouldn't be a bad idea. All you would need is some switch from radio shack. Hook up one side of the wire as the acc and the other side as the ground and flipping the switch would disable it correct? I'm not too terribly concerned about my brakes locking up because I would only disable it on certain occasions. But how do I locate the speedo before it enters the computer? It is pretty ridiculous for me to buy a programmer considering disabling the speed limiter is the only thing I would buy it for.

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
this might screw up your tranny if you got an automatic.:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, I have a manual. Would it still pose a problem for my transmision?

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
This is the only reason I haven't bought a programmer..well that and I am cheap..but I don't think it would hurt it...how could it...all you are doing is cutting the current to the sensor. I can't benifit from the programmer since I have the 5 speed...If someone does this and it works let me know...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I might have to be a guinea pig then.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts