S-10 Forum banner

Speakers for 03 dime - what will do a good job AND FIT???

910 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Edelbrock 
#1 · (Edited)
I basically want to replace the four speakers with some GOOD speakers, like the best they got, but I dont want to go butchering the truck, I want direct replacement speakers (as in bolt right in, I want the speakers themselves to be tri axial or co axial, Infinity or cerwin vega, good stuff!) , mine sound like they are kazooing whenever I crank it up, I know its just a factory unit, but its a CD deck, aughta have some beans to it!

circuit city still offering free installation?

I dont mind the dash speakers, but I dont want to mess with that door, I want someone to scream at if it doesnt look like it did when it left the factory (brand new truck, dont want to mess it up)

#2 ·
if u do not want to do any mods to your truck then the sizes you will need are 4x6's for the dash, 7'' or 6.5" for the doors and 4x10" for the rear pillars. those are the factory sizes and whatever brand u buy in those sizes should drop right in. as for the big stores doing free installations, from what i see they claim its free but tack in on the speakers price. just from experience i'd go to a local audio shop and see what they have to offer. usually they are willing to work with you and if they are good people they won't treat you as just another customer like the chain stores.

#3 ·
I did infinity 4x6 plates in the dash of my 03 xtreme, and infinity 6.5 in the doors, all reference series, and it sounded good. Since then, I purchased a 6.5" MB Quart comp set for the doors to replace the 6.5, and they sound even better. Circuit City never runs free install on speakers, just radios.

#7 ·
thanks for the feedback, mine is a ext cab 3 door model, so it doesnt have the rear speakers, which isa bummer to me

it sounds good, just breaks up with the bass when I turn it up, I think the HU os decent, but the speakers are always crap in stock systems, unless you get something like monsoon or Polk or any of the premiem packages offered

the sony Xplod sound decent in the stores, but I dont know about on the road, I think it would be a better idea to go a few more bucks to the better set

hundred a pair, or get something like 200 a pair for the dash and let the stock door speakers go for a while, fill in sound, let the dash do the work

the non existant rear speakers are a drag, that would be mighty hard to install, to say the least, and since my truck is also my daily workhorse, I cant put boxes in the back

#8 · (Edited)
those MB quart give good bass response? and decent hi end too, lol, I hate speakers that are all woof and no tweet!

:werd:

#10 ·
Do yourself a favor and dont get sony xplods, Sony car audio is very poor IMO, and I installed ALOT of it when I installed at Circuit City. The only good product they make are rf cd changers.

With that said, keeping the factory radio and changing the speakers will make a difference. Changing the radio will make a bigger difference, but that can be done down the road.

If you are planning on keeping the factory radio for awhile, your not going to want to get into a set of really high end speakers, due to the fact that your factory radio is not going to run them to full potential. I would recomend doing Infinity Reference 4x6 plates in the dash, and Infinity Reference 6.5" in the door. Those speakers work well with factory radios, they work well with aftermarket radios, and the even work well externally amped.

Alpine Type S series speakers are very nice and would do the job also.

I love my MB Quarts, some people dont like them because their a little harsh sounding, but id take them over most speakers out there. In your application though, I wouldnt recomend them seeing your running a factory radio.

#11 ·
im getting some CDT's because i can get a good price on them...but like everyone's said, Infinity makes some nice speakers, and while old sony stuff is alright, the new stuff is shit. the biggest difference i saw when i changed from the stock speakers was a LOT better sounding highs. everything cane through a lot cleaner and clearer sounding.

#12 ·
Why are we flaming Sony?

Just installed a set of Xplod speakers in my gf's car. Been in 3 cars before that including my own. Still sound as good as the day I bought them, they actually sound better than my Infinity components.

If you've never owned a pair, I dont want to hear about how crappy they are.

#13 ·
6x9 Xplod sound great, but the smaller ones sound crummy

and is it just me, or does it always sound like a speaker is breaking up during a rap song? that ridiculous bass line they use in lieu of lyrics and harmonics? ugh, I want to smash a bat over all of their heads

#14 ·
SMNW2003 said:
If you've never owned a pair, I dont want to hear about how crappy they are.
Had a set of sony xplod 6x9 and 6's in my g/f's acura integra. I have honestly never heard a worse speaker for the money IMO. They were driven off of the h/u, maybe they'd sound better with an amp. But they gave zero bass. You start cranking it up? They'd start distorting. My old cerwin vegas sounded 100 times better than the sonys. The highs were decent but not as crisp as they should've been IMO. They honestly aren't anything I'd ever use in my vehicles in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.