S-10 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a very basic speaker install question that I've been unable to answer by browsing through the various links provided on this site. I'm obviously a "first-timer" in this area and I'm not trying to do anything fancy.

All 4 of the stock speakers in my 92' S-10 are basically blown and I'm attempting to replace them with "over-the-counter" Pioneer replacements (Two new 4"x6"s in the dash and 2 new 4"x10"s in the back). After removing the first dash speaker, I found a black connector clip attached to the wiring coming out of the dash. The wires for the new Pioneer speakers terminate in exposed wire.

Question: Do I need to purchase some type of connector clip to attach to the exposed wire from the speakers or is there some other solution that I'm overlooking?

Sorry for the very basic question but any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
I think you should
20 Posts
Cut and strip back the wires, then twist them together and electrical tape them together. I did the same thing with my speakers in my truck and my old car.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
just cut them its free and works jsut as good, cut them and then strip the wire about half an inch so the wire is exposed and either get some little connecters and put them on the ends or jsut solder or somethnig the wire to the speakers

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
but if you cut them which is the right polarity? Just go to a best buy ot circuit city and get the harness for like 6.50 or so. much easier plug into the factory plug, and plug it right on the speaker.

·
Registered
74 Posts
if ur gonna cut and tape make sure u use good tape not the cheap stuff that comes free with tool sets etc.... itll eventually loose its stickyness and fall off then the wire will b exposed and if they touch they could ruin the head unit

plus its ac so pos and negative dont matter as much..... hook it up one way than the other which ever sounds better is right....

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Cut and strip back the wires, then twist them together and electrical tape them together. I did the same thing with my speakers in my truck and my old car.

don't know where you are located, but that is definately the "Hickibilly" way to do it.

1. cut em, crimp connectors on em and connect them.
2. go get the wiring harness

·
DRIVIN A PERVERTABLE
7,017 Posts
aaronajb1981 said:
but if you cut them which is the right polarity? Just go to a best buy ot circuit city and get the harness for like 6.50 or so. much easier plug into the factory plug, and plug it right on the speaker.
which wire you want to know the polarity one? they are the same for the last 25+ yrs in any gm vehicle.

just cut off the plug, strip the wire back, add on the connector for the speaker, plug it in, screw it back to the door. be done for now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone for the tips/advice....so I finally got everything hooked up but the entire right side (both the 4"x6" in the dash and the 4"x10" in the rear) sound horrible. Now I'm not sure that the problem was with my speakers.

Any ideas on what else might be wrong and might be causing this?

·
UNBANNED BITCHES!!
2,007 Posts
i gues its too late but DONT CUT OFF THE PLUGS guys.......just get female spades to plug into......hope you never go back to the stock speakers....or the next owner doesnt want too........damn butchers!!!

·
I think you should
20 Posts
If the sound is still terrible then...
1) Head unit is toast
2) The wiring between the the head unit and the speakers is toast

·
Registered
74 Posts
they prolly do it because they dont know that you can get better speakers for cheaper that fit properly and are easy to install...... just lack of knowledge

·
s10 en it up
314 Posts
ya dude dont be embarrissed or afraid to ask questions on this site thats what the forum is mainly for. Everyones gotta start somewhere

1 - 19 of 19 Posts