S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
purplekronic
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I HAVE A 95 S-10 4.3 VORTEC. I RECIENTLY COSTOMIZED RAM AIR FOR IT. WHEN I WAS BUYING THE PARTS FOR IT THE CASHIER NEW
EXACTLY WHAT I WAS DOING TO MY TRUCK. ANYWAY HE SAID THAT
I WOULD HAVE TO BE CAREFUL OF THE PVC PIPE BECAUSE WHEN IT HEATS UP NITROGEN GAS GETS SUCKED INTO THE MOTOR. HE TOLD ME TO PULL A PLUG AFTER ABOUT A MONTH AND SEE IF IT HAS A
GREENISH TENT TO IT. WELL TODAY I NOTICED THAT MY TRUCK WAS IDLING ROUGH, SO I PULLED A PLUG AND IT HAD MORE OF A DARK RED ALMOST MAROONE COLOR TO IT. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THIS COLOR MEANS? IS IT OK TO USE PVC FOR MY RAM AIR?
THANX FOR ANY REPLY

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
all i know is we use pvc at work for electrical installation. and we use heat to bend it. just heat it up a little and it will be soggy. i would imagine that your engine bay would get pretty hot, so this thing might get soft and collapse. try using a different plastic.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I made an intake out of ABS about a month ago. The past week my truck has been running really rough. I just pulled one of the plugs and its green. Did that guy say what to do about it? Im wondering if I should change to platinum plugs.

·
purplekronic
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THE ONLY THING HE SAID WAS THAT HE HAD TO TAKE IT OFF HIS TRUCK. I HOPE THAT I WILL NOT HAVE TO TAKE MINE OFF. I'M CURIOUS DO YOU HAVE ANY PICTURES OF YOUR RAM AIR?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Its not ram air. I made an intake out of 3" sewer pipe. It runs from the plenum to the air box. Im going to replace the airbox with a cone filter soon. Hope I dont have to take it off. The old air pipe wont fit because my electric fan is too big. I wonder what kind of plastic the stock tube and K&N are made of. I might try switching plugs. Platinum is less reactive than iron. I'll keep an eye out for different materials. I only paid about $10 for the one I have now.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I thought about that but it seems like metal pipes would superheat the incoming air and make it alot less dense, lowering perfomance. It would also bee too hot to touch. I guess it could be insulated but that would look ugly.

·
purplekronic
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I HAVE A NEW AIR DAM THAT REPLACED MY STOCK BUMPER, IN BETWEN THE FOGLIGHTS IS A OVAL OPENING SO I MOLDED ABS PLASTIC ON THE BACK OF IT AND RAN SOME PVC ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE RADIATOR AND LEFT SIDE OF THE DRIVER SIDE HEADLIGHT THEN STRAIGHT INTO MY STOCK AIR BOX. I HOPE TO SOON BUY THE NEW AIR INTAKE W/CONE FILTER TO MAKE IT LOOK BETTER.NO PICS. YET I DO NOT HAVE A SCANNER.

I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE W/ ONE OF MY BUDDIES FROM COLORADO WHO BUILDS MOTORS, AND HE SAID THAT THE REDNESS ON MY SPARKPLUG IS BECAUSE MY MOTOR IS RUNNING TO LEAN, WICH MAKES SENSE. I DONT KNOW WHY I DIDN'T THINK OF THAT. BUT HE SAID THAT HE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT GREEN SPARK PLUG, BUT I WILL KEEP MY EARS OPEN.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yeah. A light green tint. Never seen it before. As far as I can tell I dont have any kind of coolant leak. I was thinking that if the plastic is emitting nitrogen, the nitrogen could be leaching copper out of the block causing the creen color.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My O2 sensor is fairly new but I'll check it. I did notice when I got the truck smogged last month the emissions were way up. The numbers were almost identical for the 3 years previous. Smog guys even commented on how clean it was running.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I pulled the plugs and only the ones on the passenger side are green. I hope this doesnt mean I have a coolant leak.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts