S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for replacing the spark plugs, and plug wires on my truck.I'm about to do both, after this little chore I dont want to have to do it for awhile.

1997 S10 LS
Auto, 147,000 miles
V6 4.3
2wd
No modifications , everything still stock.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
29,524 Posts
Moved to 262/4.3.

Run what the General put in it...OEM parts. They spent a bunch of money getting it right. Others will tell you this brand or that brand is just as good....blah....blah...blah....You can get your parts on RockAuto with a 5% forum discount. Sometimes they have rebates available.

Reactions: aitch

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moved to 262/4.3.

Run what the General put in it...OEM parts. They spent a bunch of money getting it right. Others will tell you this brand or that brand is just as good....blah....blah...blah....You can get your parts on RockAuto with a 5% forum discount. Sometimes they have rebates available.
OEM, like ACDELCO?

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes ac delco
Thank you, I was going to get some fancy performance wires like MSD, or Accel, now I'm a little bit more relaxed, when I pulled the #1 the other day it looked good, and that was just a basic plug , the lowest on the totem pole.I should probably do the distributor cap and rotor while i'm in there, once again thank you.
jeff

·
Registered
276 Posts
Stick with AC Delco for all those ignition parts. I got bit on a jimmy using a cheaper cap and rotor

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, Im a little bit confused, on the AC Delco plug wires, ACDelco Professional 9746T Spark Plug Wire Set, but they also have the 746 T, On one of these it said I might have to make some manual modifications, I would really like to have them already measured and ready to go. Now it says on Amazon the 746 T's will fit with out any Mods.I'll figure it out, have a good weekend, once again thanks alot.

jeff

·
Registered
2003 GMC Sonoma SLS extended cab 4.3L auto 4x4
69 Posts
Thank you, Im a little bit confused, on the AC Delco plug wires, ACDelco Professional 9746T Spark Plug Wire Set, but they also have the 746 T, On one of these it said I might have to make some manual modifications, I would really like to have them already measured and ready to go. Now it says on Amazon the 746 T's will fit with out any Mods.I'll figure it out, have a good weekend, once again thanks alot.

jeff
Have you checked Rock Auto for wires? - might be less $.

·
Registered
48 Posts
While I like OEM parts for many things, I have to say my MSD coil and 8mm wires have been on there for 20 years now with no sign of a problem. Engine starts at the mere touch of the key.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
29,524 Posts
Post #2...blah....blah...blah....

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Try to get an AC Delco cap and rotor
I prefer to use NGK-TR55 plugs @ factory gap
Taylor wires are my go to
Remember to unbolt the steering shaft at the gear box to make it easier for plug #3 access.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually i'm going to have a pro do it, because he want's his laptop fixed, even swap, that's my thing, last time I messed with my truck in that capacity, injured my wrist , and lost the use of it for 2 weeks, which severely hindered me doing computer stuff.Thanks for the advice, I have to buy the parts, I'm going to start doing that momentarily, have a good weekend !!
thx again
jeff

·
Registered
635 Posts
I am using Parts Master wires zero issue. Duralast is good too, not debatable thousands of people use these products with no issue you can check reviews for yourself. I am also using a Standard Ignition coil zero issues. I have had 3 vehicles with 4.3's been down this road 3 times no issues.

Use AC Delco if you want. Also NGK manufactures AC Delco spark plugs.

GM/AC Delco does not make their own wires or spark plugs they outsource to aftermarket companies.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Try to get an AC Delco cap and rotor
I prefer to use NGK-TR55 plugs @ factory gap
Taylor wires are my go to
Remember to unbolt the steering shaft at the gear box to make it easier for plug #3 access.
I don't see why people have such an issue with spark plug #3 I literally just slide in the socket with the extension no problem and pull it out. It is just a regular cheap spark plug socket I use I believe it was Hyper Tough from Walmart like $5 a set of 3.

I just checked the Taylor brand out never heard of them before actually. TaylorVertex? they show what their wires are made from they seem pretty nice, slightly on the pricier side but they probably will last for decades.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
29,524 Posts
I don't see why people have such an issue with spark plug #3 I literally just slide in the socket with the extension no problem and pull it out. It is just a regular cheap spark plug socket I use I believe it was Hyper Tough from Walmart like $5 a set of 3.

I just checked the Taylor brand out never heard of them before actually. TaylorVertex? they show what their wires are made from they seem pretty nice, slightly on the pricier side but they probably will last for decades.
It's a problem if you're lowered. I remove the one bolt on the steering shaft, raise it, and remove it thru the wheel well. Some of us don't have a straight shot to the sparkplug hole, which makes it easy to cross thread. I use a piece of 3/8" fuel line on the insulator to get it started. If it isn't straight, the hose will slip before you can do any damage.
As for the wires/plugs...they may be outsourced, but I doubt it's just a case of rebranding. I'd bet they must meet GM specs. The Michelins that came on the Blazer are not the same as the ones you buy at the tire store...even though they are the same model. If for some reason they don't meet GM specs, they go to other outlets.

·
Registered
635 Posts
It's a problem if you're lowered. I remove the one bolt on the steering shaft, raise it, and remove it thru the wheel well. Some of us don't have a straight shot to the sparkplug hole, which makes it easy to cross thread. I use a piece of 3/8" fuel line on the insulator to get it started. If it isn't straight, the hose will slip before you can do any damage.
As for the wires/plugs...they may be outsourced, but I doubt it's just a case of rebranding. I'd bet they must meet GM specs. The Michelins that came on the Blazer are not the same as the ones you buy at the tire store...even though they are the same model. If for some reason they don't meet GM specs, they go to other outlets.
Mine is just a 2003 LS regular cab 2WD, long bed with Z85 suspension, stock height.

The aftermarket options like Duralast meet GM specifications. I can't tell if you the Parts Master meets specifications or not because they are cheap but they work for me and they work for many other people.

The only complaint I have about Parts Master wires is they snap on the the spark plugs very tight which is probably a good thing less chance of a loose connection but I run Parts Master in a 1994 Silverado 4.3 TBI, 1998 Blazer and currently my S10 no issues. The 1994 and 1998 also run Duralast before because it is my habit when I change spark plugs I change the wires too, some will say it is overkill which it is but I stick to it.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am using Parts Master wires zero issue. Duralast is good too, not debatable thousands of people use these products with no issue you can check reviews for yourself. I am also using a Standard Ignition coil zero issues. I have had 3 vehicles with 4.3's been down this road 3 times no issues.

Use AC Delco if you want. Also NGK manufactures AC Delco spark plugs.

GM/AC Delco does not make their own wires or spark plugs they outsource to aftermarket companies.
Thanks, I just spent most of the day listening to parts counter guys and why I should buy the ones that they sell, because they're better than the ones I'm looking for......
and that AC Delco is crap., and that opinions from internet forums are the same.I don't think that, I really like this Forum, some people are just to ignorant, and un-informed to know
any better.Thanks for the advice all of you, I'm going to have a Pro do the Plugs for me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts