S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched around here on the forums and couldn't find what I was looking for...Heres my question, what are the pros/cons of larger wires for ex. 8.5mm over 8.0mm? Overall whats the best wires for our 2.5s?

·
Rarely goes over 20mph
3,163 Posts
if im not mistaken, the bigger the wires, the better flow it has, less resistance, its like fitting a beach ball in a basketball hoop, you have to shove it in and force it, where as a basketball just flows through.

i have 7mm accel wires, and theyve worked great, my friend has 8mm ones on his 88 jeep xj 4.0l I6 and they work great for him.

im not saying you should go get 0g 2inch thick ones haha, but 7mm work great for me, i dont see how 8mm would hurt or make too much diffrence

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So pretty much whatever I get is going to work well. Thanks guys! I guess I just thought there was a difference in performance related to size.

·
Rarely goes over 20mph
3,163 Posts
usually the more horsepower you have the bigger wires would be better, along with higher spark, like say you get a full msd ignition to get better spark, getting bigger wires would let the spark flow to the plugs better.

8mm seems to be the best unless your pushing 800hp, then 10mm would be best.

just dont get the 10mm and think its going to give you 400 more horsepower.

its like wiring for an amplifier for subwoofer, you dont want too big of a wire, but you dont want too small.

250watt is small amp wiring, while 1000watt is thick, which applies to the spark system, if you have a hotter spark ignition setup that provides more spark, youll need bigger wires.

but if you just have stock everything, 7-8mm wont hurt any

might want to ask your local parts store if your buying from there, they might have a better idea of what you should get for your engine

·
Registered
647 Posts
i agree. if you're running an msd or other high voltage coil, it makes sense to upgrade the cap and rotor, as well as thicker plug wires... however thicker plug wires on their own isn't going to do anything

·
No more blazer
1,235 Posts
im running msd 8.5mm wires and i went from stock wires. there is more throttle response and ive nodiced a LITTLE bit of better gas milage but no actual power gains. it does feel like it wants to GO alot more.

they cant hurt and they seem to do better, next ill prolly upgrade my coils and plugs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts