S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
no hackjobs here
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for starters ive been out of the car audio thing for several years now well more like 7 and i can remember when soundstream was one of the top brands. does anyone have an opinion about thier equipment ive been searching them for the last 2 days and thier components are very nice looking but are they worth the money i was looking into the picasso series or the van gogh series if anyone could help me out that would be great
thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a van gogh 1600.2 and absolutely love it. I don't have any experience with the components but I guarantee you'll be happy with the amps, they are top notch

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Their amps are not what they use to be (this coming from a big SS fan). And imo they haven't made a noteworthy subwoofer since the Exacts. Soundstream just hasn't been the same since they were bought out.

·
no hackjobs here
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
audioholic said:
Their amps are not what they use to be (this coming from a big SS fan). And imo they haven't made a noteworthy subwoofer since the Exacts. Soundstream just hasn't been the same since they were bought out.
well they got bought out huh do you have any idea were the best place on the net would be to find thier stuff cheapest been looking around but havent had much luck by the way when did they get bought out cause i can remember back in like 96 they were the shit

·
Registered Abuser
93 Posts
soundstream has some good stuff, my buddy runs their 6 1/2 components (2 pairs) the van gogh 4 channel, 2 tarantula T4 15s, and two of the van gogh amps (1600.2) in his 03 cougar and it jams. the components sound really good also. (imo)

Chuk

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
Their new lower line models aren't what Soundstream used to be, but it's still decent stuff. I've been running an Edge series 5 channel and been more than happy with it. Works flawlessly, runs cool, makes more than enough power to get loud with no distortion, and has plenty of adjustability. My only gripe with it is that it is HUGE for a 50x4 + 300x1 amp, nearly 2 feet long, and I believe around 12 inches wide. That's why it isn't going in the new ride.

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
i was trying to say this last night but for some reason could never post:( :

soundstream has fallen a long ways from where they used to be in the car audio world, due to a combination of things. the one that has hurt them the most is competition: back when soundstream was amongst the best car audio companies, there was a lot less competition in car audio and a lot less companies pushing the limit to make the best products out there. soundstream has stayed on roughly the same technological level for some time with no new innovative products. while they are simply changing the appearance and outer design of their products, other companies are striving forward with different motor structures, gap designs, and a variety of other new innovative features.

with that said, soundstream is still a decent product. in my opinion, their amps are still their strongest point. can an all soundstream setup sound good? certainly. can an all soundstream setup get loud? of course. but will you be winning any competitions with either in the near future? not likely. they are still a quality product, i'd say even above average, but they are nothing to write home about like they used to be.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
stlSY said:
I still miss my old Reference amps....:(
I recently picked up a couple old SS Reference amps, including a Picasso. Woot for me!

stlSY said:
It is a sad thing to see what has become of the heavy hitters of the 80's and 90's.
The simple mention of Orion still makes me sad.....
HCCA's still make my heart go pitter-pitter-pat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts