S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1989 gmc s15 sierra 2.8 manual
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm looking at upgrading my stereo system in my 1st gen ext cab.. I'm not a audiophile or something like that just looking to get a good sound quality with some bass. I started to look through Amazon and found rockford fosgate p1462 4X6 for the front dash and kicker KS 4x10 for the rear panels.. I am planing on routing them through a 4X250watt Amp and adding I think it's 8' rockford subwoofer.. maybe I'll add 2 tweeters in the A pillar.. I don't have much of experience with audio system so I'm looking for some opinions for this setup.. once again I'm not looking for window popping sound system , just for a good quality with nice bass.
Automotive tire Output device Automotive lighting Automotive design Font
Product Camera lens Cameras & optics Camera accessory Gadget

·
Premium Member
1994 GMC Jimmy SLE 4.3 CPI 4x4
685 Posts
I used those Rockfords in my dash, you’ll have to do some trimming to the back of the housing where the gauge cluster sits to get the driver side to fit. Can’t help you on A pillar tweeters.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm trying to avoid trimming the dash to fit speakers , but it seems that if I want a real upgrade I will have to , is there any advice as far as how to do it correctly ? Any other advice is welcome as well , maybe changing to another speaker size beside 4X10 and 4X6 to get a bigger verity of more modern speakers ?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,349 Posts
I'm trying to avoid trimming the dash to fit speakers , but it seems that if I want a real upgrade I will have to , is there any advice as far as how to do it correctly ? Any other advice is welcome as well , maybe changing to another speaker size beside 4X10 and 4X6 to get a bigger verity of more modern speakers ?
Go to Crutchfield and see what they have. It will tell you if they fit or not.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I would use the pioneer 4x6 they fit with next to no mods to the dash to make them fit and they do really well against the Sun and they will Outlast the Rockford . They sound really good better than the Rockford. I'm not knocking Rockford it's a real excellent product but you're looking for durability and long lasting with good sound pioneer is the way they go for the dash speakers. And I have them in both of my 03 Sonoma's no issue still sound as good as the day I put them in.
And if your radio has built-in crossovers most newer radios have them use it. It makes them sound even better. 4x6s do not like lower frequencies they like 125Hz and up anything below that causes a lot of distortion. By the way I'm a retired installer 1988 to 2015.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice! I've allredy installed new JBL club 6420 4X6 in the dash , and they sound real crap. I don't know if it's because of my head unit or the cables. Or just because they are simply crappy speakers :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts