S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm a new convert to Chevrolet. I've got a 4x4 with the 4.3, and I don't know the difference between the TBI and the CPI, and how to tell which one I have, if at all. Please excuse my lack of knowledge, I've been stuck in a ford for the last few years.

·
.......¯\(O_o)/¯.......
3,480 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, NC. Everyone here has been real nice and by reading all of the posts, ya'll seem to help each other out a lot.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
QueenCity4x4 said:
Hey, I'm a new convert to Chevrolet. I've got a 4x4 with the 4.3, and I don't know the difference between the TBI and the CPI, and how to tell which one I have, if at all. Please excuse my lack of knowledge, I've been stuck in a ford for the last few years.
Throttle bodies will be found on older pre 96 motor and use a carb looking device with injectors within the bores.
CPI- Central Port Injection is a unit that uses a throttle body which just controls air flow while 6 batch fired injectors set over the intake ports add fuel. It looks like a spider with 6 legs and a forward facing throttle body.Widely used term for any motor from 92+ thats not using a real throttle body injector.
CSEFI which was started in 1996 uses a throttle body to control air flow while 6 sequential fired injectors injectors add fuel over the intake ports. Its forward mounted on a plastic upper plenum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, since mine is a 99, I've don't have the CPI or TBI, but the CSEFI. I think I understood that correctly.

Thank you very much for the help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Which one is better the cpi or the tbi? Just curious

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
um...stock, CPI, but it takes more maintenance. the TBI is well-suited for larger-scale aftermarket accessories (converting to carb, new manifold, ect), but i thought 1996-up were SFI engines, and only Blazers had the CSEFI?

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
welcome to the dark side... :lnv:

:monkeypee:Ford

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
MuddyS10 said:
um...stock, CPI, but it takes more maintenance. the TBI is well-suited for larger-scale aftermarket accessories (converting to carb, new manifold, ect), but i thought 1996-up were SFI engines, and only Blazers had the CSEFI?
Central Sequental Electronic Fuel Injection all 96+!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts