S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 01 Sonoma was running great no issue. I drove about 5 miles to my house. As I pulled in the truck just shut off. As if I had turned the key. Now it will crank but won't start. I replaced fuel pump and filter. Still nothing . I can put starting fluid straight through the throttle body and it will start right up. No codes or cel. I am lost any help would be appreciated.

·
Been there Done it
11,183 Posts
Which engine?
Even though you have a new pump and filter you need to borrow a fuel pressure tester and see if you are getting pressure and it's holding. You could have leaking fuel line or inside the intake you could have a leak of a line, injector, or regulator. Test will show that.
Sure you hooked up the ground to the frame when you replaced the pump? Commonly missed item and then the new pump won't run.
To check your relay, swap it with one of the others nearby just be sure it has the same number of pins. Some are 4 and some are 5.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,611 Posts
Read this...assuming you have a 4.3...do you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which engine?
Even though you have a new pump and filter you need to borrow a fuel pressure tester and see if you are getting pressure and it's holding. You could have leaking fuel line or inside the intake you could have a leak of a line, injector, or regulator. Test will show that.
Sure you hooked up the ground to the frame when you replaced the pump? Commonly missed item and then the new pump won't run.
To check your relay, swap it with one of the others nearby just be sure it has the same number of pins. Some are 4 and some are 5.
View attachment 349685
Swapped the relay still no start going to pressure test in the morning thanks for the reply it the 4.3 vortec engine

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Read this...assuming you have a 4.3...do you.

Yes 4.3 vortec

·
Mr Goodwrench's Evil Twin
567 Posts
Does your security light flashing while you are trying to start it?

·
Mr Goodwrench's Evil Twin
567 Posts
In that case oldeerslayer is spot on, check your fuel pressure and make sure it holds fuel pressure like it should. Also, just for grins pull your oil dipstick and see if your oil is thin or smells like fuel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In that case oldeerslayer is spot on, check your fuel pressure and make sure it holds fuel pressure like it should. Also, just for grins pull your oil dipstick and see if your oil is thin or smells like fuel.
Alright will do I appreciate the help

·
Mobile Mechanic
1,027 Posts
My 01 Sonoma was running great no issue. I drove about 5 miles to my house. As I pulled in the truck just shut off. As if I had turned the key. Now it will crank but won't start. I replaced fuel pump and filter. Still nothing . I can put starting fluid straight through the throttle body and it will start right up. No codes or cel. I am lost any help would be appreciated.
Typically when a vehicle acts like you cut the key off, it's an ignition or power issue. Check for spark. I read along through this thread, I swore you said you could hear the pump prime with initial key on. Keep it simple.

When it's a loss of fuel it will kind of bog out... sputter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts