S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 774 Posts

·
Ls7 440
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I've been planning on doing this for awhile now. But I have been so busy with work. Work has slowed down, do I figured it's a good time to upgrade. Truck currently has a 4.8, 4l60e, 8.8 explorer rear end, and 3.73 gears. Whoever did the swap could have done a cleaner job. So I plan on doing everything right and clean with the 6.0

Here's the truck

The lq9 6.0 with cpw headers

Just got a few parts today

·
Ls7 440
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far I have
06 6.0 lq9 48k miles
Tsp cnc ls3/l92 with 650 lift springs
Tsp cam 229/236 .624/.615 112 lsa
Tsp ls6 ported oil pump
Arp rod bolts
Double roller timing chain
Ls7 lifters
Chromemoly pushrods
L92 rocker stands and offset intake rocker arms
Ls3 intake, 42 pound injectors, and fuel rail
92 mm dbc throttle body
Scoggin dickey billet throttle cable bracket
Current performance long tubes

·
Ls7 440
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it had the covers on it when I bought it. So I just left em.

·
Ls7 440
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What does it look like to you? It's a 6.0 flat top piston out of a escalade.
Can barely see the 6.0L stamped on the block. I can take a better pic in the morning when I get off work.

Tsp cnc ls3/l92 heads

·
Ls7 440
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's good to know on the cam sensor...

·
Ls7 440
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not much progress today... Got off work this morning and slept till 11:30. Went to the auto parts store and grabed a few things. Run into a problem with the head bolts. Since I thought and was told the motor was a 06 those are the head bolts I order. Turns out the motor is pre 04, so I need the long head bolts. Gonna send them back to TSP and exchange them. Plus I have a few more things I'm gonna order too. :)

Better pic of the 6.0L

Got the balancer and oil pan stuff off today. Arp rod bolts are in and torqued down

·
Bowtie Til I Die
2,307 Posts
I hope those rod bolts don't fail on you... I've heard many horror stories of people just replacing the rod bolt and not getting them checked because of the different clamping forces and the rod bearings fail shortly after.

·
Ls7 440
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah hopefully they don't fail... It turns over just as smooth. If it does I'll have to order a 440 short block from TSP... :). Bet the girl friend would love that. Lol

·
Ls7 440
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine let's me do whatever but she wants to spend money too. Lol

·
Ls7 440
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Having a hard time deciding what color to paint the block. Silver aluminum or black? Any ideas?

·
Ls7 440
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks Zaranx. Im gonna try to have it back together, running, and tuned by the end of the month. The 4.8 sounded like it had a small cam in it. The truck was by no means slow. I plan on keeping the 4.8. I might put it in something else one day. Or its a backup motor for the sonoma or silverado.

·
Registered
386 Posts
looks like an 03 or 04 lq9. All the 05+ that I've ever seen have the cam sensor on the front cover.

Should be a nice change regardless

Thought I should clear the air on this one. The front cover cam sensor is on the GEN 4 engine meaning that in 06 the LQ9/4 were still the GEN 3 and the LS2 was a GEN 4. all LQ9/4s prior to mid 07 (2007 classic GMT trucks) came with the GEN 3 engines.

To the OP did you follow the torque specs from ARP and actually torque them and back them off 4 times before the final torque or did you use a gauge? This is where most screw up and have rod bearing failures.

Personally I use a gauge and I also degree in all the cams I do... I dont rely on the old dot to dot method LOL.

Looks like a fun build she should surely rip!

·
Ls7 440
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 774 Posts