S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry i dont mean to use harsh letters. i was under my car changing my oil a couple days ago and ive noticed b4 that the exhaust pipe between the driver side manifold to the y pipe, for maybe a foot and half, is a little crunched up like it was bottomed out on. i didnt think it was too much but i do get like 13 mpg and am sure it was that but it didnt look that bad, until i looked under there from the front and holy shit! in one part its crunched down to maybe a 1/4 of what it should be. so im gonna take a sawzall and chop it out and replace it with some new pipe. so would it be ok to not weld it in? i dont have much access to a welder but i can get a connector(?) to tighten the ends together. it doesnt need to last more than a couple years for i am getting an ls1 someday.

·
Registered
506 Posts
You should be OK clamping the new pipe on with standard exhaust clamps that you can get at Autozone or Pepgirls, but it's always better to weld it. Any compitent exhaust shop should be able to do it pretty cheap.

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a shop wanted 200$ to do it so f that i can get ahold of a sawzall and a piece of pipe for free. thanks for the reply

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha come up to alaska and ill pay you 50$ and a 24 pack.

·
Registered
506 Posts
wow, that so doesn't seem worth the trip. tell you what though, if i'm ever up that way i'll hook you up.

lol

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I had my local exhaust shop cut out the center section and install
a true round 2" dia center section under the trans for $25.00.
Worked out great since the y-pipe thats on my ST is the same
size as a Blazer's. Around 2 or 2.25" in dia.

I'm sure you can find a local shop to do this for you cheaply.

·
Molon Labe
5,297 Posts
Cut it out yourself get the pipe to replace it all sized up and everything, then approach the shop asking them to weld it in for you, they shouldnt charge you more than the hourly rate with a min of 1 hour... if theyre reasonable people. Just tell them what you're doing and act like you know enough about it and they should be fair with you, that's the way i go about things and usually people are pretty nice about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts