S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
UAH By-product
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a little problem with my truck. Before I got my alpine cd player, I had always noticed the radio led's kinda flickered profusely. Because of that I took it to Autozone and let them check it. They said the alternator was good, but something about the "charge" was messed up. That was about 4 months ago so I've forgotten details. Anyways, I haven't noticed any problems until lately, especially when I let off the accelerator and start to coast (at night) i can see my headlights flicker. They go dim then right back up to normal... stay normal for a second, and then flicker again. It's done it some just sitting in the garage with it running. The main time it happens though is when I'm driving along and then let off the accelerator. It has done it some while i'm actually on the gas. I thought it might be a ground, but I've had the ground off by the battery 3 different times to check it. The last time i scraped the metal as shiney as it could be and even put some di-electric grease on it. I know its not that ground. I'm sure there are others but I have no clue where.

If anyone has had this problem or knows the fix hook me up please :)

Thanks.

Brad

·
V8 needin' member
424 Posts
that sounds like an alternator problem, especially if the dimming is occuring with little or not throttle applied, but i dont know for sure, the wiring in these damn trucks seem to be pure SHIT

try disconnecting the hot terminal of the batter once the truck is running and see if anythign happens, it should continue to run the same, because once the truck is started the alternator powers the vehicles electonics

hope that helps man

russ

·
UAH By-product
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try that out after while. Right now my dash is torn apart trying to find a freakin knocking rattle.

/me pulls hair out.

Thanks

Brad

·
Registered
603 Posts
Sounds like the Voltage Regulator in your Alternator is bad. Some parts stores still carry the Alternator rebuilt kits that include a new Regulator for about $10. Other than that, take it back to Autozone and have them do another alternator check.

·
UAH By-product
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update.

My friend that's here now says whenever I'm following him down the road my lights constantly flicker a little bit.

I did the unhooking the battery test. When the battery was still hooked up, I could still see a slight flicker occassionaly (hard to tell I was in my garage). I unplugged the pos. cable and the flickering got VERY noticeable and way more often. Kinda spazzing out. The truck ran fine though. Never acted like it wanted to quit or anything. I didn't drive it or rev it though. Any other info I'm leaving out that might help you guys figure out this problem?

Thanks.

Brad

·
V8 needin' member
424 Posts
dude that definately seems like an alternator problem, more than likely the voltage regulator took a shit or is on its way to taking a shit, take it back to advanced and let them check it for ya again, but im willing to bet a new alt. would take care of this for ya, how many miles are on the truck and is it the original alt?

hope that helps man

russ

·
V8 needin' member
424 Posts
oh yeah, also are u runnin a big stereo or anything else off the electrical system of the truck? i had a problem with my stereo bein too large for the factory alternator and had to buy a 150 amp unit

·
UAH By-product
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm running an Alpine 9813 cd receiver, 2 6.5 kickers in the doors and infinity kappas in the dash. No sub. No room. So I doubt its because of that.

The truck only has 34k on it. I'm not sure what it is. I don't have the cash available to go out and buy a new alternator unless its just essential.

Brad

·
Early Member
3,167 Posts
CenTex said:
Sounds like the Voltage Regulator in your Alternator is bad.

·
UAH By-product
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts