S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Xtreme Dreams..
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know the interior Volume for 2 10" subs in this box.

34 inches long X 12 inches tall

5 inches deep at the top

8 inches deep at the bottom

Thanks

·
Registered
746 Posts
If my math's not too far off, it should be around 2 to 2.5ish cubic feet ;)

volume is Lenght X Width X Height /1328

so figure 34x12x5=2040, then 2040/1328=1.54, then add in that other triangle portion.....its a good rough guestimate

·
FI Car Audio FTW!!!
1,615 Posts
This is what we need to do...

Think of your measurements as 32.5 x 10.5 x (3.5 + 6.5 / 2). We must account for your assumed 0.75" material. 32.5 x 10.5 x 5 = 1706.25. You need to divide that by 1728. That comes out to just under a cubic foot for both subs. Keep in mind that this does not account for subwoofer or bracing displacement.

Tempe

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you want exact air space, What I do is draw it up on autocad and let the computer figure what the area of the triangle is and then multiply that by the internal width and divide that by 1728. I just draw in what width of wood I'm using.

Math is okay for simple boxes like rectangles and even this box which is a rectangle and a triangle really. But the cad is unbeatable for the more complicated boxes.

I drew yours up real quick and here's what I got.

If you use all 3/4" material, the exact volume is .98365 cu.ft. Not including bracing or sub displacement.

If you use all 1/2" material, the volume is 1.1341 cu.ft. not including any bracing or sub displacement.

I can also do all 5/8" or combinations of 3/4" and 5/8", etc, etc.

·
VVVthat thing is deadVVV
4,185 Posts
hey megabass, could you draw up a box for a reg cab first gen using two twelves at .88cubic feet fer sub? with a 3/4" seperator plate using all 3/4"? if you could i would be unpayably grateful. im having a lot of thoughts on trying to get this setup in! i can get you some dimensions tomorrow.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Probably can. The most important thing to consider when trying to get 12s in a reg. cab is to pick a sub with a shallow mounting depth. Unless you want to lose some legroom. I normally draw the sub to scale and stick it in the box to make sure it has enough depth to clear the back. Just give me some rough dims.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tempe said:
Where could I get a program like that? I do not want anything fancy; just for box designs...

Tempe
I use Autocad 2000. It's a $3,000 drafting program. They do make a $500 version called Autocad LT

The best part is any box with angles is real easy to get the degree at which you need to cut the bevel on the panels. I don't even worry about sticking with 20,30,45 degrees or whatever. Most of my angle cuts go out to at least 2 decimals.

The attached box is just a simple truck box. And I did a quick and dirty on the size of the pieces. I forgot to show the dividers. But you can see how easy it can get (compared to guessing). That way, all the joints will fit tightly together. When I build a box, I cut all the pieces out first--and then go put them together. As long as you can cut accurate to the print. Gotta love the table saw for that:clap: Also saves me from wasting wood. I draw it up and I know if it will work before I make the first cut. Gives me flexibility to change my mind and try different things before I build.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
That didn't come out very clear. But I think you get the idea. Autocad is made by Autodesk. I know college campuses carry it. Might be able to get it a like comp usa or something.

·
VVVthat thing is deadVVV
4,185 Posts
Top depth-4 1/2", bottom depth-9", width-50", height-19 3/4." sorry it took so long, i just have no time anymore! these are all max exterior dimensions. thanks lots man! also there is gonna be a 1" divider in the middle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts