S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ive posted many times and im about to curl up in the fetal position and whine myself to sleep in my garage floor with all the welding fumes.... I ran the whole factory harness back to under my hood.. Now that im runnin a carbed v-8, i dunno where the hell to start wireing.. I just need to know where to start.... I have my ignition box mounted and everything i just have noooo idea were to start please someone help me...

·
Ridin Dirrty
794 Posts
Power wire to the starter, ignitions switch. Keep the cabin controlls in. Posltive voltage to the choke (fi electric) Hook up the wiring harness to your sending units.....ummmmmmm

·
Ridin Dirrty
794 Posts
then id say youre fukced!

You are going to have to get a wiring diagram for your wiring harness, and trace the wires back.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or i could find a way to send power the everything in the cab so i could trace everything with a test light

·
Registered
816 Posts
well some of the wires would have been the same from your old motor such as the starter wire and such

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
A good place to start..........Cut away all the wires that you don't need. When I did mine that was the first thing I did, and it made it alot easier to work with. Just make sure you keep all your front lighting, brake, alternator, distributor, and battery leads. Alot of the extra wiring in my case was for emissions stuff and the original computer, which you don't need if you're going carbed. :)

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
Haynes Manual​

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I've only got about 10 total wires coming through my firewall. You're not gonna need all those wires. The box that you are holding in your hand you will need. It looks like it may be a power junction box. Another good tip is to keep all of the thicker gauge wire.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Blazinlow15 said:
Ok would i just need to cut off all the connectors on the end or leave them?
Don't cut the connectors, I you think you have a mess now...
The autozone website, has 2nd gen wiring diagrams. The wire colors and many of the circuits that were on the 1st gen are the same for 2nd gens (or any other GM vehicle). They just evolved a little.

Did you trash all the original wiring harnesses? I hope not...u r f*@%

1. If you haven't...reconnected your headlight, turn signal wiring harness(s) then the SIR system (yellow) If the connectors connnect and the wire colors match, thats a good sign.

2. the cranking system, w/starter and all grounds, bypass the nutrual switch.

3. the charging system.

4. the ignition system, w/ MSD 6al dist. and tach signal from 6al and coil signal.

5. temp. sending unit - yours may have had 2 of them. If so, use the one that was mounted on head next to the exhaust manifold, not the one on the intake manifold.

6 oil press. sending unit - this also includes pressure switch that powers the fuel pump.

If you PM me your email address, I can send you schematics.

Baby steps first (I wish you were closer, so I could help)

·
takes 2 balls in our game
5,666 Posts
DAM!!!!!!! you done got yourself into one hell-of-a-mess!!!!!!!!what in the hell did you do that for if you wasnt sure what you are doing????It may never run now!!....naw, its just going to be VERY VERY time consuming for you to trace all the main wires you are going to need.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts