S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Big Engine, Little Truck
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on msnbc.com this morning, looking at gas prices around the country. I live in South Florida, on the Gulf of Mexico, close by (relatively) to all the refineries and we are paying around 2.90 for the cheap stuff. According to msnbc we are paying 2.86. I know it's different by a few cents all around Florida, but when I click on Montana and North Dakota, they are shown as only paying about 2.38 for the same stuff. How in the hell is gas 40 cents a gallon cheaper up there? How can it be cheaper to transport gas to BFE Wyoming than to the Gulf of Mexico? I just don't get it. Does anyone have a reasonable answer to this?:rant:

·
low country dropshop
1,653 Posts
maybe supply&demand ??? your in Flordia where the population is way higher than Montana or North Dakota, so demand is probably much higher in your area? Just a guess though.

im pretty sure there isnt any logic in gas prices being as high as they are anywhere. Gas companys know they can screw us because we have to have oil and theres nothing we can do about it and our government isnt going to shit about it either because it's helping pad there pockets too probably.

just my 2cents

·
Big Engine, Little Truck
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd almost buy that, except that places like New York and Chicago should be way higher than us, if it was demand driven. Their prices are shown to be within a cent or two of us. I think demand is the same everywhere. Everyone needs gas. They may not have as many gas stations as we need, because they have less population, but the peeps in Montana still cannot go without gas, and will surely buy every drop they can get. I'm sure gas is not sitting around getting sour in their stations' tanks because no one needs it. I think they just sell it for whatever they want because no one is gong to do a damn thing about it, no matter how much we bitch. There is no way the whole country can boycott using gasoline, so we are screwed.

George Bush doesn't care about hi-performance trucks.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
A lot of it has to do with taxes as well. there is a state tax, a county tax, and a city tax, each of which is different amounts.

·
BLACK DEATH
1,003 Posts
be happy your not payin what we pay up here in Canada... I think once it's all converted out (CDN$ to US$ and liter to US gallon) we pay about $4 a gallon right now... and 40% of our price of gas is TAX!!!!!!!

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
People in the UK have been paying the equivalent of $5+/gallon forever now, so its not as bad as it could be...

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
So I'm gonna be one of those old guys and say that I remember when it was $.89/ gallon. I can't believe that in the past 15 years it has gone up that much. What the F - word! As for the original question posted I would have to say that transport companies having different policies and transport rates would contribute to the difference in cost as well as individual ownership screwing us all over. 70 dollars a barrel and going up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I live in north east florida and gas is like 270/280/290 and you drive about 15 minutes down the road and its 280/290/300 how does that work?:rant:

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
mybluedime said:
I live in north east florida and gas is like 270/280/290 and you drive about 15 minutes down the road and its 280/290/300 how does that work?:rant:

Self serve or full serve. In some places full serve is more expensive. Also if they're different companies, or different ownership???????

·
Registered
432 Posts
what's got me stunned is how gas went up and the gas companies made a killing, you would think they would be making the same unless it's for sombody's pocket(bush)

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I guess another thing would be the cost of living. I think that it would be a lot cheaper to live in a place like North Dakota as compared to Florida. I'm sure the pay scale is alot less than it would be in Florida, too. And yes, boy does it seem funny that since this great president of ours has been in office that gas has skyrocketed...........Hmmmmmmm.........I wonder.

·
Registered
212 Posts
property taxes that the station owners have to pay are not equal and will contribute to the 'just down the street...' issue.

also according to some tv show i saw recently the amount and type of additives that are different geographically (50+ blends throughout the US alone) also cost more/less and will have an impact as well.

not to mention the fact the we are being held hostage by big oil fact is that gasoline and diesel fuel will always be a sellers market always.

thing i hate so much is that big oil is cryin about how oil is 60 or 70 whatever a barrel and yet each and every single big oil company posted some of if not the biggest net profits both $ and % wise they have ever seen

/rant sorry for hi jacking your thread

·
built for stangs
231 Posts
check this out. I live ine orlando, Fl. I am about 30 minutes from disney and universal studios. By my house it is 270/280/290. Over by the attractions its 310/320/330. The funny thing is people are always making fun of the people with the little scooters, shit I am about to go buy me one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts