S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
rocker layin member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok anyone who has had a 2.8 (or 4.3) powered first generation dime knows when you slam it,drag it etc. the exhaust Y pipe gets smashed ripped and all that good shit. I normally just run duals tucked under the frame rails so they don't drag.......but this time is a little different. I wanna run a factory(yet modified) Y pipe.Does anyone know how much space there is to section the pipe and raise it? If I remember coorectly it needs maybe 1-1.5 inches of extra clearance.So the question is is there room to move it up? If so how much? I honestly can't remember it's been a while since I had a truck w/factory exhaust. Thanks in advance and sorry for this novel of a post.....

·
LEAD FOOT LARRY
423 Posts
I dropped my stock Y pipe off my 2.8 yesterday. I had about 1 inch of clearence upwards.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I was reading over at another site that the y-pipe Edelbrock sells,
no not the TES kit, this is a custom y-pipe for lowered rides works
real well. Now I think this was v-8's these guys were talking about
but I also think Edie makes one for the 4.3..If all else fails you
could always go with oval tubing from the left bank to the right
bank/merge pipe. That would give you added clearnace. Might be a
pain to fabricate, but I know where to get oval exhaust tubing..

There's also this. Link here and scroll down to clearnace pipe. Num 16
www.drgas.com/photos.html

·
Registered
36 Posts
my stock y pipe was replaced with a slightly smaller tube, and moved up. Unfortunatly i cant remove my transmission cover anymore because the bolts are covered up.

SO if you do raise the pipe, be certain and install a drain plug at the back of the transmission pan.

the pipe is now above the bottom of the frame rails.

-alan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts