S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on duty right now, and I have my laptop here with me. Long story short, it dropped about 24" to the floor while I was reaching for the phone. (apparently it wasn't set down as safely on the chair next to me as I thought)

It started acting REALLY slow, music files were intermittent, and everything stopped responding. Now, after trying to reboot it, it won't load either Windows or Ubuntu.

Am I looking at a new hard drive, or a whole new laptop? Display is fine, as well as everything else external.

When I power it down, it makes a weird metallic "pew" noise that I'd never heard before.

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4677

·
I'm slap happy, bitches!
2,178 Posts
dude, mine did the same thing when i picked it up near the network card slot, and it cracked the freaking mo-board.

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And a quick Google is telling me I can get an OEM replacement for $60... Or a 120gb upgrade for the same price.

·
Sneaky White Person
9,765 Posts
so what does that laptop do? it still turns on and boots up but just acts funny?

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it'll boot up and go to the GRUB, but locks up and does nothing once I select either OS.

·
Sneaky White Person
9,765 Posts
yea sounds like hard drive to me. I'd just pick one with your correct interface. wouldn't necessarily look for what was originally in it.

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The prices aren't much more to go with bigger/faster... I'd be happy with anything bigger than an 80gb, that's smaller than the most popular MP3 players nowadays.

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, after thinking about it a while, I think I'm gonna get an OEM replacement hard drive, so I have half a prayer of saving some of the data on there. (lots of pictures that I didn't back up, non-profit organization's files, etc)
Anyone know who does data retrieval for a semi-decent price? I also have roughly 10gb of music/videos on there that I'm unable to get back any other way.

I fvcked up when I installed the Ubuntu partition, so 80gb is going to be big enough for me. Also, will whoever does the data retrieval be able to use the parts from my "good" HDD to get the data pulled, and then load WinXP Pro as my OS?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts