S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when is Chevy going to put the straight six in the S-10? It is nothing spectular in the Blazer but in a light S-10 that will have some balls. I think it has 270 horespower? Image that in a short bed regular cab, manual trans., posi rear, and a few bolt ons.

·
Banned
6,652 Posts
Well, the i-6 will get put into a redesigned s-10 - it will look similar to the new blazers, etc. The truck will be a bit larger than before, similar to the dakota size. Skeptics aren't sure if the engine will be able to propell the new truck as well as they would hope.

However the straight six (with 270hp) in a 2nd gen s-10 could haul some serious ass.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ford is pretty much plaining the same thing for the Ranger. In 2 or 3 years they might make it bigger and look like the Explorer and throw two diffrent V-8's at it. Probably the 4.6 and 5.4. What would be nice is some type of "R/T" package like a DOHC 4.6 or something. But that will probably happen the day after hell freezes over.

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
my bros 71 chevelle had a straight 6 in it.. If chevelles can share I-6's and V-8's why cant my 99S10?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The 4.2 inline six is too long of a motor for our short front ends. It would require no fan and the firewall moved, along with numberous mods to the frame and crossmembers to fit. For all the problems created a V-8 is a much easier and better mod. Older cars had long frontends so swapping was not a problem with almost any motor. The problem that going to be created is redesigning the S-Series for a 4.2 would add some serious weight, almost enough to negate the extra horsepower to a degree, power to weight would be almost the same. To save weight they would do a Aztec plastic to keep it down.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yes the A-word. Dont be suprised if the new small version truck is called a Azalanch or something. Gm likes using this new plastic stuff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
GM's supposed to be making a 5-cylinder variant of the I-6 4.2, that would fit underneath a shorter hood. I don't see why the 4.2 wouldn't be able to handle the size of the new s-10, there are extended cab Dakota's with 4 bangers in them, my friend has one... and he can chirp the tires. Anything rated over 200 horsepower and torque should have nnoooooooo problems :)

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
how bout a transverse I-6? didnt think of that did ya? DID YA?:bash:

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
just to fill you in

a single cab s10 weights 2200 at most
our blazer xtreme was 3420
a extended cab is 3550.

the I6 in the new blazers weights over 4300 pounds.

The blazers are quick but the weight slows them down

the new style that takes over the s10s also comes in at over 4200 hundred pounds.

in our trucks yes these motors would be quicker but in the heavier ones not as fast as they seem

tony

·
Treadwear Waste'n Member
133 Posts
964pt3 said:
Yes the A-word. Dont be suprised if the new small version truck is called a Azalanch or something. Gm likes using this new plastic stuff.
Someone once told me, On GM's new cars, you only need 10% soap & water and 90% armor all:rolleyes:

I don't remember who said it though.

·
Treadwear Waste'n Member
133 Posts
98 SS ON NOS said:
just to fill you in

a single cab s10 weights 2200 at most

tony
2200??? are you sure?

I was going to have my SS weighed, I figured it would be right around 3000. I was just wondering. Thanks tony

·
Registered
14 Posts
AnotherSS said:

Someone once told me, On GM's new cars, you only need 10% soap & water and 90% armor all:rolleyes:

I don't remember who said it though.
No kidding, I think the Avalanche is the place body cladding goes to die. :eek:
It would look a lot better with more sheetmetal and no plastic panels

·
Treadwear Waste'n Member
133 Posts
98 SS ON NOS said:
SORRY 3300 at most for single cab\

mine with no ac with almost bone dry tank was at 2910
cool, Mine doesn't have AC either. ;)

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
AnotherSS said:

2200??? are you sure?

I was going to have my SS weighed, I figured it would be right around 3000. I was just wondering. Thanks tony

He ment without driver:bah: :p :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
You guys might have already seen this but, I have some pics of the 4.2 inline 6 engine here

1 - 20 of 29 Posts