S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Dead Project Truck
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On monday my truck died. I was driving along at about 85 and it bucked a few times like I hit the speed limiter which I didnt. And then just went dead. It would not start again, just cranked. Had it towed home and checked out what I could. Couldnt see anything obvious except that I couldnt hear the fuel pump running. Yesterday I got more into it and determined that its got air and fire, but still couldnt hear the fuel pump working. So I sprayed starting fluid and it would start and run until the fluid was gone. Everything pointed towards a fuel pump or the fuel pump relay. I went out today and got the truck up on jack stands and started snooping around. Thought before I go to far that Id try to start it again. It started right up like nothing ever happened. It idles good, drives good, pulls hard(as hard as a 2.2 does anyways), and shows no signs of wanting to die, stumble, or any other problems. Anybody else ever have this problem? Anybody know what Im dealing with, or what the hell to look for???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sort of had that

I had my truck not want to go anywhere when I tried to pull away from a red light. The throttle didn't respond and the engine was stuttering horribly. It felt like the clutch was slipping but I was in neutral. The engine was on the verge of dying but it didn't. After some frustration and awaiting for a change from the heavily vibrating engine, I turned it off. I was about ready to figure out what to do when I just started it again, ran smoothly, and I was off. BTW its a 96 2.2L.

·
2daXtreme
232 Posts
your fuel pump is on its way out. That happened to me b4. Truck would die and not start again. Id try and start it again later and it would start right up and run fine. Then the cycle would repeat. Die... not start....start up later.... run fine.... die.... Hope you have a warranty because fuel pumps cost an arm and a leg just for the unit. Not including having it installed.

·
Dead Project Truck
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They do cost an arm and a leg. Ive already got a new Carter unit that I was about to install when the truck decided to start acting right. Its been a few days and I have not heard or felt any more signs of trouble out of it. But now Im afraid to drive it very far. I went out tonite and got a fuel pressure gauge that Ill put on it tomorrow. My chiltons book says pressure should be between 9-13 psi. If my pump is dying the pressure wont be as high, right?

·
2daXtreme
232 Posts
it was a long time ago so i dont remember really what the fuel psi is, but im pretty sure it was in the ball park of 37-40 psi, maybe even higher. I could be totally wrong so dont quote me on that.

·
Dead Project Truck
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its an electric pump, hence the $300 price tag.
Where do I get a fuel pressure gauge that will fit my test port? Ive tried O'reillys and autozone and all the ones they have dont fit my test port. My 97 has a bigger test port than older gm's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts