S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. you guys, i have a very difficult decision to make and was hoping that som,eone out there could help me out with it. I have a 1991 S-10 Tahoe Edition, short bed, standard cab w/ a 2.8 TBI engine that has 190,000 miles on it. So since it is running on its last leg i am going to need to swap another engine in soon.:eek:
My problem is what engine do i want to swap in place of the old clunker.
I still want about 20 - 25 miles per gallon but, at the same time i want to be able to beet ricers off the line at stop lights. Now i know this is hard to do so i have narrowed down my options.

1st option:
3.4L TBI racing setup (cam, pistons, heads, TBI spacer, headers, etc.), with or without supercharger and 100 shot of nitrous. - around 352 hp with nitrous on and decent gas mileage. $

2nd option:
4.3L fuel injection racing setup with or without supercharger and 100 shot of nitrous. - around 380 hp with nitrous on but bad gas mileage. $$

3rd option:
Small block (305 - 350) aspirated racing setup with 100 shot of nitrous and no supercharger. - around 400 hp with nitrous on but terrible gas mileage. $$$$

I am really leaning towards my first option but if anyone has any better options please let me know but nothing that iam going to have to donate my left nut to buy.

·
Long Bed Member
3,065 Posts
Hell Surfer said:
O.K. you guys, i have a very difficult decision to make and was hoping that som,eone out there could help me out with it. I have a 1991 S-10 Tahoe Edition, short bed, standard cab w/ a 2.8 TBI engine that has 190,000 miles on it. So since it is running on its last leg i am going to need to swap another engine in soon.:eek:
My problem is what engine do i want to swap in place of the old clunker.
I still want about 20 - 25 miles per gallon but, at the same time i want to be able to beet ricers off the line at stop lights. Now i know this is hard to do so i have narrowed down my options.

1st option:
3.4L TBI racing setup (cam, pistons, heads, TBI spacer, headers, etc.), with or without supercharger and 100 shot of nitrous. - around 352 hp with nitrous on and decent gas mileage. $

2nd option:
4.3L fuel injection racing setup with or without supercharger and 100 shot of nitrous. - around 380 hp with nitrous on but bad gas mileage. $$

3rd option:
Small block (305 - 350) aspirated racing setup with 100 shot of nitrous and no supercharger. - around 400 hp with nitrous on but terrible gas mileage. $$$$

I am really leaning towards my first option but if anyone has any better options please let me know but nothing that iam going to have to donate my left nut to buy.
i have a 4.3 and its alright power wise now and with a few mods can be quick but youd have to swap trannies and some other stuff to put one in so that gets to be expensive ,but i like your 1st idea as well it would be pretty original to have a hopped up 3.4 that would smoke some rice id say go that way and build it right so when u get the $ strap a nice blower or even turbo on it she wont blow up on ya ,but again that comes down to your $ flow cause we would want ya to sell lefty or anything crazy like that :D

oh and welcome aboard and ask away theres tons of people here that are always willin to help (some even have useful knowledge too;) ):thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 92S10LB for the help. What do you think i could do to a 3.4 to make it whoop ricers lil' asses. Anything would help. I know a lot about engines so don't worry about confusing me I am just not that familiar about hoppin' up V6's and thought i would try it out.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
I got a good deal on a 4.3 and replaced my 2.8 with that. i need more power tho:evilg:

·
Registered
9 Posts
350+ hp v8 chevy in 1985 jimmy with 4speed overdrive automatic transmition and holley 4barrel carb = 25 to 28 mpg.
This is without nitrous or anything else.
So dont rule out v8 because of gas milage.
As long as its 2wheel drive its very easy to go v8 and is alot of fun.

My mechanic has the jimmy i listed. Plus a 84 I think s10 pickup he runs at the track with a 406ci v8 and gets i think 6.something in the 1/8th with it. It gas milage on it of course is by the foot not mile:)

His 3rd s10 pickup has a 350 also in it. It runs high 7's at the track and gets probably around 18 mpg highway.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I like my 3.4

My HT 3.4l Crate Engine was a good choice 'cause it's a bolt in for your truck. I really notice the 20% increase over the 2.8 so If you work it up it would be a nice package w/ out breaking the bank or having to change the trans. Otherwise I'd vote for the Small Block over the 4.3; If your going to do that much work, ther's no equal to larger displacement!:thumbup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im on my 5th 2.8. When this one croaks Im going to try the 3.4 crate engine route. If that does work out good its v8 for the next one.

·
Long Bed Member
3,065 Posts
Hell Surfer said:
Thanks 92S10LB for the help. What do you think i could do to a 3.4 to make it whoop ricers lil' asses. Anything would help. I know a lot about engines so don't worry about confusing me I am just not that familiar about hoppin' up V6's and thought i would try it out.
unfortunatlly i dont know much about the 3.4 myself but all normal rules of getting more power are still there for that engine, like bore ,stroke , port and polish the heads , get a high perf. intake use a bigger cam and such . as for making it hold up to some boost make sure you use good pistons and rods as well as a good crank . now where to find these parts im not quite sure but i have seen them around and there is a site that has a guy with a blown 3.4 if i come across that or other stuff ill let you know :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts