S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 4.3 2wd.
truck still starts but the AC compressor will shut it off, . runs fine without the AC on idled for like 20 minutes no ac. but once i turn it on the belt squeals and then shuts the truck off.
my question is, is it possible to replace the compressor without having a shop take all the freon out. and ive read online that if you replace the compressor you have to replace a couple other things and if you get it all done at a shop it can cost near the ordinance of 2 grand. i couldn't find either a receiver drier or an expansion valve on 1a auto. also ive heard that automobile freon can be harmful to your lungs? do i really have to worry about that when replacing the compressor?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,229 Posts
Moved to Heating/Airconditioning.

·
Premium Member
1994 GMC Jimmy SLE, 2010 Cadillac STS
81 Posts
No way to replace a compressor without losing Freon, sorry. Also 2k is ridiculous, I just had a new compressor, receiver drier, expansion valve, orifice tube, and Schrader valve replaced for $560 on my ‘94.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No way to replace a compressor without losing Freon, sorry. Also 2k is ridiculous, I just had a new compressor, receiver drier, expansion valve, orifice tube, and Schrader valve replaced for $560 on my ‘94.
does it make any kind of sense to have a shop evacuate the system and then replace the stuff i need to and clean the metal flakes out of the condenser? then have the same shop refill the Freon into the system. or would that just be a waste of time and effort for the money? i guess the estimate that i read online wasn't for a 99 then. i found a kit online for $158 dollars not including the condenser. and im thinking i could cut my cost of labour.
tell me if im delusional please

·
Premium Member
1994 GMC Jimmy SLE, 2010 Cadillac STS
81 Posts
Just find a shop that works on hvac systems yes, I had mine converted from R12. $560 was everything, evac and refill included. Just call around.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,229 Posts
does it make any kind of sense to have a shop evacuate the system and then replace the stuff i need to and clean the metal flakes out of the condenser? then have the same shop refill the Freon into the system. or would that just be a waste of time and effort for the money? i guess the estimate that i read online wasn't for a 99 then. i found a kit online for $158 dollars not including the condenser. and im thinking i could cut my cost of labour.
tell me if im delusional please
Cleaning the condenser is a waste of time...get a new one. The only thing aside from the condenser that you're not replacing is the evap core. I would take the time, and small extra expense and replace everything in the a/c system.

·
Been there Done it
8,909 Posts
I agree. If you leave any metal particles anywhere in the system they will eventually find their way back into the new compressor and ruin it. Flushing won't get them all out.
That's why all compressor guarantees specifically state that you have to replace the condenser and accumulator or they won't warranty them. Most also require it be professionally done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts