S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wait, what?
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And it isn't an S-10. But it does have a 2.8L engine and I don't know who else to turn to so hopefully ppl (neo) wont tell me that I'm stupid and in the wrong place. I decided to take a trip out here to Cali to see my best friend. I hadn't seen him in about a year and he needed a way back out to cali so I decided we could take my car. So me him and a couple of ours friends piled in my car and the tranny decided to die in New Mexico. We got here and I was looking around on craigslist when I found my dream car. Well sorta. It's an 89 Camaro and it was only $400 I just couldn't pass it up. The guy selling it said he wasn't exactly sure what was wrong but it was knocking really bad and he had bought an extra block which came with the car. He said he never had time to put it all together and that his wife wanted it gone. So here it is

Everything is there except for the computer and I have one on the way. I'm gonna need some help putting this baby together as I've never done anything quite this extensive before. I just need to find a place to do it and some tools to do it with if I was in indiana this would be so much easier but I'll manage. How hard is it to get the bell housing bolts out on these? Most of the top half of the motor is sitting in the car, all the fuel injection at least as well as the dizzy and the belt system. The other block came with the heads but no intake manifold or oil pan and probably no oil pump by the looks of it. So I'm gonna use the manifold heads and pan off the old block I just need to get it out first. But like I said I'll need some help along the way so expect questions to come up soon. I'll post some pics of the motor and some more of the car tomorrow. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
457 Posts
And it isn't an S-10. But it does have a 2.8L engine and I don't know who else to turn to so hopefully ppl (neo) wont tell me that I'm stupid and in the wrong place. I decided to take a trip out here to Cali to see my best friend. I hadn't seen him in about a year and he needed a way back out to cali so I decided we could take my car. So me him and a couple of ours friends piled in my car and the tranny decided to die in New Mexico. We got here and I was looking around on craigslist when I found my dream car. Well sorta. It's an 89 Camaro and it was only $400 I just couldn't pass it up. The guy selling it said he wasn't exactly sure what was wrong but it was knocking really bad and he had bought an extra block which came with the car. He said he never had time to put it all together and that his wife wanted it gone. So here it is

Everything is there except for the computer and I have one on the way. I'm gonna need some help putting this baby together as I've never done anything quite this extensive before. I just need to find a place to do it and some tools to do it with if I was in indiana this would be so much easier but I'll manage. How hard is it to get the bell housing bolts out on these? Most of the top half of the motor is sitting in the car, all the fuel injection at least as well as the dizzy and the belt system. The other block came with the heads but no intake manifold or oil pan and probably no oil pump by the looks of it. So I'm gonna use the manifold heads and pan off the old block I just need to get it out first. But like I said I'll need some help along the way so expect questions to come up soon. I'll post some pics of the motor and some more of the car tomorrow. Thanks guys!
It's not to hard to get the bellhousing bolts loose on the camaro's. I used to love those cars, I'm not saying I don't now. But feel free to ask any questions you have. I've worked on tons of them, as a matter of fact that exact body style.

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
Might wanna try over at www.fullthrottle.com They have a 60 degree section and its mainly full of f-body guys. Theres a few over at www.60degreev6.com also.

I can't tell you jack about f-bodies past 79 so good luck and nice find.

·
Wait, what?
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I'll check it out. I've been hindered a little bit by lack of tools, and by a little bit i mean im at a standstill. If only I were back in Indiana. Not to mention I just got an open wireless connection here today so I can post some more pics now which I'll do in the morning. What should I replace since I already have the block out? Any suggestions? Cheaper ones would be great lol

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thanks guys I'll check it out. I've been hindered a little bit by lack of tools, and by a little bit i mean im at a standstill. If only I were back in Indiana. Not to mention I just got an open wireless connection here today so I can post some more pics now which I'll do in the morning. What should I replace since I already have the block out? Any suggestions? Cheaper ones would be great lol
Are you keeping it a 2.8l? If so just do a tune up. If your swapping out don't put a 305 in you'll regret it. I'd put a 350 in.

·
Wait, what?
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I dont plan on putting a 350 in it but I do have a questin for raven, how hard would it be to convert this to TBI from an S-10? Seems like it would be a little simpler than all the MFI bs.

·
Wait, what?
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I know I'd need the intake and the throttle body obviously but what about wiring? Not to mention it has that stupid passlock system. If I don't get around to doing that what can I clean fuel injectors with? these look a little dirty.
And the dizzy looks a bit rusted under there, what can I clean that off with?

And heres what I'm dealing with as a whole

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
Hell if you were closer I'd trade you fuel injection systems. One of the days a MPFI is gonna be in my blazer, be it on a v6 or v8.

·
my hoopty
1,946 Posts
man, you're a brave soul taking on that kind of project that far away from home and away from your tools.

i wouldn't worry about how the injectors and distributor look as long as they function properly. i would get a new set of injector o-rings. and it wouldn't hurt to check for continuity on each injector to make sure they are all electrically okay. it also wouldn't hurt to spray some throttle body cleaner into the injector tips and the fuel inlets to help clean out any gunky residue that may make the needle stick to the seat.

the rust on the dizzy pick-up won't hurt a thing. as long as the rotor spins with no interference, just stick it in.

if you're gonna be swapping blocks out, i would reccomend a new oil pump as cheap insurance. since it's been sitting for a while, you should probably spin the engine over using the starter to re-prime the oiling system, including the lifters, which may take a little while to pump back up. just disconnect the distributor so the computer can't command the injectors and spark plugs to fire while you're priming it.

as for swapping to TBI, you'd have to swap the manifold, add an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator (the TBI system requires much less pressure), swap the wiring harness, and computer. you'll be better off using the multi-port system.

good luck with it.

P.S. have you tried looking for forum members in the area that might be able to lend a hand? just a thought. also, you might check thirdgen.org for technical help or hookups.

·
Registered
752 Posts
yeah thats way too much of a project to take on without tools and good books. Lota shit looks ****ed. I'd start with a nice 350 block, fuel injection with no passlock B/S.

·
Wait, what?
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah its a mess but its all there. I just have to put it back together. If I can't get this and that to start on it before too long I'm gonna put it up on ebay and try and get a little more than i paid for out of it. That is good to know though, about the passlock thing, i always hated that I tried to get my 95 Camaro's key copied one day and they told me how much it would cost and I told them to shove it. I don't know any forum members in the area and I doubt anyone would have the time to f*ck with it, time is all I seem to have...If only I had some tools.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts