S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck sucks in the snow. Ive got about 6 sandbags back there, and i still get stuck. its a 5 speed, and it has stock rims, and the tires are Kumho all season, and are the same size as stock. Its making me mad because my friend with bald tires and no weight was able to drive to school the day after it snowed 3 inches when most of the streets werent plowed. I need some tips on what to do, because i need to get around. also, the tires have less than 10000 miles on them. its kind of making me upset.

·
RUSTHOLYUM
2,792 Posts
Just go slow......and in truth...it takes a lil experience drivin in it,...it just plain sux!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
once i get moving im usually fine. i just get stuck when i need to take off, thats what sucks.

·
Wantin' Somethin' Xtreme
17 Posts
You're 5 speed is an advantage to you. Learn how to use it. Go to an empty, unplowed parking lot when it's still daylight out, practice getting yourself unstuck from "stuck", out of skids, and off ice patches. Also, the position of your sand bags matters. Make sure they're not by the cab and they're by the wheels. This will be a lot of fun and a great education. Kitty litter helps get you unstuck when you're just plain stuck! Put some of the big grainy type in a milk jug and toss is behind your seat for emergencies!

·
.......¯\(O_o)/¯.......
3,480 Posts
place your sandbags between the wheel wells, i have 4-50lb bags in the back of mine and havent had any trouble...

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ive been driving with about 620 lbs of sand today, and going down the highway my truck started vibrating, its not the smoothest highway, and im wondering if its tire balance or if taking out a few bags would help.

·
.......¯\(O_o)/¯.......
3,480 Posts
I would take out a few bags, you only need 200-300 lbs in the rear to help with traction, you dont want to leave groves in the road..lol

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
BUY SNOW TIRES!!! Snows are a HUGE improvement over "all season" tires. I got some Firestone WinterForce tires from TireRack for $40 each in 205/70/15 size. Get a set of 4 and use your stock 15" rims or find some used ones somewhere. I started using snows about 5 years ago and I won't run regular tires in the winter again. I was running Bridgestone Blizzaks but they wear really fast and are more than twice the price of the WinterForce tires, so I'm giving them a shot this winter. I also have 2 100 pound cast iron tractor weights that I tie on either side of the bed behind the wheel well for weight. On my Xtreme I had Bizzaks and a fiberglass tonneau with the stock bumper and I didn't add any weight and went just fine. My ZQ8 S10 and now my sonoma are both regular cabs and need the extra weight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts