S-10 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Likes MOAR Low
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i was wondering if anyone has sanded they're factory 98+ s10 airdam smooth to get the wrinkle finish off before painting it ? If so, what all was involved and was it worth it? comments ? suggestions?

·
i'd hit it!!
406 Posts
the way we do that at work it sand it with 320 to put a good scratch in the airdamn, prime it with a filler primer (92B060 is a good primer) put a three nice coats let it dry and wetsand with 400 and paint u should be good to go. turns out really nice if done right.

·
Likes MOAR Low
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im wanting to sand the rough surface off........not just prep it for paint, thanks tho

·
Sweet n Low
1,169 Posts
anybody else care to post how you did it? im about to attempt...

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
i'm doing a 94-97 airdam. I'm using an orbital sander with 80 grit to sand off the texture, then using 150 by hand. So far its going good...just very slowly. Hopefully the primer can fill in what i miss with sanding.

·
i'd hit it!!
406 Posts
all u need to do is put a scratch into the airdam, the filler primer will fill the texture, then u wetsand the primer and paint it and it will be smooth.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
96sdime said:
all u need to do is put a scratch into the airdam, the filler primer will fill the texture, then u wetsand the primer and paint it and it will be smooth.
Yea, i'll prob give up and do that. Sanding just raises texture and makes it REally rough

·
That 3D picture dude guy
4,570 Posts
anyone got pics?

·
Sweet n Low
1,169 Posts
how many coats of filler primer does it take to fill?

·
i'd hit it!!
406 Posts
usually at work we do three nice coats using 92b060 filler primer. if u attempt to sand the texture off then when u go to prime it , it will hair up real bad because of sanding into the actual airdam rather than just the texture. i can get some pics up tonight.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
i just gave it a coat of filler primer. I'll give it another coat in a few min. Big pieces suck for spray paint..i always run out

·
ol' bodybuilder
647 Posts
96sdime said:
usually at work we do three nice coats using 92b060 filler primer. if u attempt to sand the texture off then when u go to prime it , it will hair up real bad because of sanding into the actual airdam rather than just the texture. i can get some pics up tonight.
Can you expand for this dummy? What brand is the 92b060 filler primer?

Thnx

·
Some Day
5,605 Posts
Umm I would clean that really well with soap and water and then plastic cleaner... then you should spray a plastic promoter... and flex additive should be added to the primer

·
Sweet n Low
1,169 Posts
i just got done with my second can of filler primer, and its pretty close to filled. after sanding will have to touch up little spots here and there, but its turning out pretty good so far. i heard you can spray the adhesion promoter after primer right before you base coat it. is that correct? and anyone know what brand has that in a spray can? thanks

·
Sweet n Low
1,169 Posts
well i wetsanded the filler primer with 400 grit and shot another coat of filler for the imperfections. its going to come out real smooth...and then on to wetsanding again...will have some pics up soon if i can find the digi...

·
i'd hit it!!
406 Posts
92b060 is a valspar primer it comes with hardner hpc000 and for a gallon it is around 80 bucks for but it is good stuff def worth the money.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
i just used duplicolor filler primer. I guess i'll have to let you guys know if it peels off. I cleaned it really well and scuffed it a bit..so it probably wont come off

1 - 19 of 19 Posts