S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I did a search on here but i dont think anything relates to whats going on with my truck,

First off this is not my work this truck i bought already bagged off a buddy of mine that had it done at a local shop

anyways i started the truck up turn the comps on and let the tanks fill up to 150 ish pounds, and i thought i could smell something funny ( i was sittin inside ) so i jump out lift the cover and theres alot of smoke coming out i freak and shut the comps off after the wires cooled i took the screws out of the relays and turned them over and found this .....

now i have fuses but they didnt blow or anything ( theses orange wires seem fine its the ones below it that are screwed )

the wires goes to an " pressure switch" but its one i havent seen in my life time:rolleyes: my buddy says it doesn't work anyways. i took the two orange wires off the pressure switch in the pic

is this just becuase of bad relays ? or is it something else ?, all i wanted to do is take the truck out for a drive today befour i rip it apart in a month, but the bitch wouldn't even let me leave the driveway lol.

ANY help or advice would be great guys ! thanks in advance Jeremy

·
Baby > Home > S10
9,517 Posts
those type of relays are usually rated for 30 or 40 amps at most, might be 20 amps though. most likely you just need a stronger relay, like an 80 amp one. Your fuses probably didnt blow because you have a much larger fuse in there then what the relay is rated for. like maybe an 80 amp fuse, or something.

273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Guys thanks for replying, my internet got cut off becuase they didnt get the payment in time :rolleyes: anyways i ordered a swinger relay, from SD and im just wondering how to wire it up now

Heres a wiring diagram i redid from airridetalk.com

Ok so i was wondering .......

4 G wire for the batt to the relay correct?, Then would i use 4 G from the relay to the fuse spiltter ?

Then use 10 G to each comp?.

What size fuse should i use befour the relay ?

What size fuse should i use inside the spilter ?

also insted of wiring the ps to the ignition switch could i wire it just to the batt and have a switch so i can turn it off at night so it dont run allnight ( slow leak from the bag fitting upfront) im going to be riping the truck apart in two mouths to re do somethings i just need something temp that works, after i redo the truck ill hook her up to the ignition :)

THANKS GUYS !! :D

·
Ol' Sparky
1,293 Posts
There are people a lot more experienced than me here to answer these questions, but I will do my best.

Ok so i was wondering .......

4 G wire for the batt to the relay correct?, Then would i use 4 G from the relay to the fuse spiltter ?

Then use 10 G to each comp?.
Correct on the 4G to the relay. I just ran 10G from the relay to my fuses and then on to my 450Cs.

What size fuse should i use be four the relay ?

What size fuse should i use inside the spilter ?
These are two questions I could not find an answer to, so I ran a 30 before the relay and a pair of 30's before the comps. So far so good, but it has only been a week.

also insted of wiring the ps to the ignition switch could i wire it just to the batt and have a switch so i can turn it off at night so it dont run allnight ( slow leak from the bag fitting upfront) im going to be riping the truck apart in two mouths to re do somethings i just need something temp that works, after i redo the truck ill hook her up to the ignition :)

THANKS GUYS !! :D
That should work. Good luck with the truck.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
for your first question looks like a low quality contact that lead to high contact resistance or allot of heat being on the bottom close to carpet the heat had no place to go so the insalation started to melt then shorted out.

I think i missed it what compressors?
and what size fuse(s) was in place?

273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the compressors are a 280 viair and a firestone air spring helper it was really hot that day maybe i over looked that ?? , the fuses im not to sure the fuses have 5ag30a on them soo 30 amp ??. it just scared the crap out of me when this happen my fuel cell is Right next to the replys so if there was a fire id have to be rreally quick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts