S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Function Over Form
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrite My blazer since the last oil change(I have been using Valvoline 5w30 since I've owned it) and it has started giving the nice ole puffs of smoke at startup. I live in michigan where summers are nice weather, winters are rather cold. I'm going to switch to Valvoline Maxlife as from reading seems like this helps. Should I start using 10w30 in the summer or just stick to the 5w30

·
Unregistered User
3,591 Posts
I switch to 10-40w durring the summer.
I've been using max life for a while now & its seemed
to jsut about stop burning oil. From the tiny bit that it did
anyway.

·
the youngest has been
4,358 Posts
late 80's early 90's 4.3's ahve this problem its due to the wrong valve stem seal i believe being installed

they instally oring style instead of the unbrella style

to fix this i run 5w30 and put a bottle of stop smoke in, works like a dream

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
tippmann243 said:
late 80's early 90's 4.3's ahve this problem its due to the wrong valve stem seal i believe being installed

they instally oring style instead of the unbrella style

to fix this i run 5w30 and put a bottle of stop smoke in, works like a dream
I made a copy of the TSB from GM telling about this and what GM told the dealers
to do and darn if I can find it. Tipp, yer right on the money..

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
Switching from 5W to 10W makes no difference in the summer. From what I've read, the only time you can notice a difference in the two is below 0 degrees.

The Maxlife is supposed to have additives in it to help condition the seals though I'm not sure how much it will do - meaning, if it will noticably change a leaky valve seal (what your puff of smoke on startup probably is)

·
Function Over Form
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya next oil change, I'll use max life, today I'll through in some stop smoke stuff. I wouldn't mind if it does it a little but it sucks, looks ghetto.

·
the youngest has been
4,358 Posts
bg's said:
I made a copy of the TSB from GM telling about this and what GM told the dealers
to do and darn if I can find it. Tipp, yer right on the money..
thats what the service letter said from gm, nothing is realy "wrong" gm just kinda ****ed up

·
professional sh*t talker
180 Posts
i have an 88 astro and it's been doinng it since i bought it 5 years ago(it has 350,000 miles on it now)belive it or not.it's just the valve guide seals seeping oil through them.it's nothing to worry about ! i've been useing vavoline syn power 20/50 and it seened to go away alittle,but who nows,some days it's worse than others. go figure,it could be worse you could own a chrysler!!! lol!!!

·
Function Over Form
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know it doesn't hurt anything but it bugs me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
just deal with it or remove the valve covers and replace the valve seals. its nothing honestly ask any early model chevy owner thats the way it is.

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
fastfreddy said:
just deal with it or remove the valve covers and replace the valve seals. its nothing honestly ask any early model chevy owner thats the way it is.
It adds class to the vehicle :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts