S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i just bought a 83 blazer and it runs like shit it wont stay runniing it dies at idle. i was wondering if there was anything simple i could do to fix it. and how do you remove the smog pump and all those damn hoses? if theres any help out there i need to here it.

·
I Rather Be Wheelin'
4,864 Posts

heres a pic of the altenator moved to the smog pump lower brackert. weber carb adn most of the vacuum lines removed.
That's pretty cool, I had my 5.7 9C1 set up that way. I'd love to remove my smog pump and throw another alt in there, only if I didn't have a serpentine belt setup...

·
Registered
180 Posts
well you need to find the problem first. check your fuel and spark first. if thats ok then move on to the egr valve or maybe you just have a vacuum leak. any codes on it?

·
Yes, those are my feet
630 Posts
^^^^
exactly right. when I swapped my 2.8's I just fired up the replacement before getting to the vacuum lines. It ran horrible (i did have a few hooked up), and would just die. As soon as I went thru my vacuum diagrams, and got everything hooked up she ran beautifully!

·
Registered
298 Posts
when I got my 85, the AIR pump did not have a belt, and most of the tubes going to the exhaust headers were broken. I removed the rest (broke them off) and threaded bolts into the openings. I pulled the tubes from the air cleaner and plugged the vacuum lines going to the valve. It runs quieter and better than before. Still lots of vacuum lines in there.

Next I'm gonna fix oil leaks and the A\C clutch. Temp outside is in the 85-95 range and the tree does not have much shade....

Start with the basics. do a compression test to see how things are inside. then while the plugs are out, take a look for wet plugs or fouled out plugs. I usually go by compression, spark, gas. If you got those 3, it should run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts