S-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i am looking got a small (touch up size) gun for priming. It will be for my small projects and hard to reach places. the only ones i could find had 1.0 tips, anyone found anything else?

·
AcrophobiA CEN-CAL
1,893 Posts
1.0 tips are pretty large for a small gun. Dont forget the paint that gets fed to the gun is less then a larger gun so even a smaller size tip like a 1.0 is large...... hope that makes sense. I used a harbor frieght special (Detail Gun) for primer on small stuff and it works fine. Just dont run "filler" primer and reduce the mix a little more for better flow. You have to do one or two more coats but it will work as long as your body work is good.

·
That 3D picture dude guy
4,570 Posts

·
AcrophobiA CEN-CAL
1,893 Posts
DfntPntbll said:
I dont mean to whore your thread,.. maybe this will help you as well, but I've been looking for the same sort of thing and am wondering if one of these two would be a good deal.
HUSKY 28 PC Spray Gun Kit
HUSKY Detail Spray Gun
Links dont work but if your just shooting primer then a "pneumatic" brand HVLP from Harbor freight would work fine. If your wanting an in between gun then you might want to look at the Sharp FX series or Devilbiss guns that have interchangeable nozzle sizes.

·
That 3D picture dude guy
4,570 Posts
Burton said:
Links dont work but if your just shooting primer then a "pneumatic" brand HVLP from Harbor freight would work fine. If your wanting an in between gun then you might want to look at the Sharp FX series or Devilbiss guns that have interchangeable nozzle sizes.
Me no speaka engrish,.... this is all latin to me.:D im looking for something for just basic newbness. im not looking for anything over $50 or $60. I have a small compressor already and it can run up to I think 120 PSI,.. not sure about CFM though.

·
AcrophobiA CEN-CAL
1,893 Posts
What are you looking at shooting... primer, color, speaker boxes, cars? CFM is the only rating that matters..... I take it you dont have a harbor freight around your area?

·
That 3D picture dude guy
4,570 Posts
nope. I'll just be doing some priming on small areas of my truck and interior peices. maybe some 1 stage paint for a temporary finish till I can afford to get it professionally done or learn myself.

·
Surf Naked
702 Posts
i have the harbor freight detail gun like shown above, and all i can say is make sure you reduce your paint reaaaaal good. mine was already reduced, and still came out chunky as hell. a little more reduction and its smoooth as butta

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DanMan2k06 said:
i have the harbor freight detail gun like shown above, and all i can say is make sure you reduce your paint reaaaaal good. mine was already reduced, and still came out chunky as hell. a little more reduction and its smoooth as butta
Does reducing it dramaticly weaken the primer?

·
AcrophobiA CEN-CAL
1,893 Posts
Loco Kano said:
Does reducing it dramaticly weaken the primer?
Yes and no. If you allow for good flash times and put a few more coats on you should be ok. But any time you "over reduce" something you are thinning it out more then it should be....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts